What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I visit the Monette Facebook website to listen to great trumpet players having fun trying out their horns. It is huge fun watch.

I have listen to the claims made by people on the video posts and read the written posts. It is like that trumpet is magic. It slots easy. It allows the play to hit previously impossible notes for their range on another horn. There was even a drammatic demonstration of a high school student getting a new Monette mouthpiece who could finally hit a strong high C but was unable to a good job before.

Are the Monette horns and mouthpieces "really" so superior? I have been reading TM and was under the impression that range only came with hard work.

BrotherBACH
    (I still like my Bach Strad)

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I played one last year. Impressive horn. I was doing long tones above high C. Had never done that before. It simply doesn't fight you like some horns do. If my wife would let me... . :D

3. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I guess it's like driving a Pinto and then driving a fully tuned Lamborghini.

Any newbie driver can slam on the pedal and drive amazingly with a Lamborghini but those that have experience and talent and skill and time behind the wheel is gonna be able to drive that Lamborghini to the moon.

Always relative.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I can't speak about the horns unfortunately, but as far as the mouthpieces go:

I tried a Monette standard mpc after about 25 years playing a Bach 5C and almost immediately noticed that my range was easier to hit (i.e. same range, but with less effort). This observation persisted consistently over the course of 1 year with that same standard mpc.

Then I switched to the Prana version mpc (same size/shape etc) and that took a bit more time to adjust, mostly paying attention to reducing mpc pressure and paying attention to my body position and breathing. Definitely an acquired taste, but well worth the effort.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    They are like mythical creatures. Even though I live in Oregon, I've never seen one. Why even bother to try something you can't afford? They may be awesome but they are way overpriced. When I was a pro photographer I shot Nikon and Canon because, even though it may have been a little better, never Leica (too expensive). Neither did any other pro photographer I ever met during my career. WHY is Monette so EXPENSIVE??? That's the question. Are they worth the extra $.:dontknow: Who cares?

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    She will...after the divorce!! :lol:

7. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I live in Oregon, and not far from the Monette shop,but due to their high price and the fact I'm just a comeback player who needs to practice a little more, I haven't gotten down there to try one, but deffinatly will try one day, if not the horn, the Mouthpiece.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey! For that kind of money, I'd expect the trumpet to be at least 250 years old, with a pedigree from a famous maker (a guy, not a company) ..... Like my ex's violin.:lol:

Turtle

I'm not really clear on what Monettes cost. I've never seen a price anywhere. Somebody will undoubtedly say, "If you need to see the price .... you can't afford it." or something like that. But that's bunk. All of the Yamaha grand pianos (costing a lot more than a Monette trumpet ... I hope!) have price tags that are available to anyone. And, you can walk into a piano store in any major city in America and TRY ONE!!!!! I think Monette is milking it's exclusivity for all it's worth.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have a problem with Dave "milking". It is America and a fool and his money are soon parted. It is a very custom made horn (and he has a lot of cats to feed). But it is a very nice horn. Will I ever really buy one (with or without my wife's permission ;-))? Probably not. If I was given one that would be cool.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What do they cost, anyway?:dontknow: Somebody must know.

Turtle