What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Grab some standard Bach 37's out of the box and compare them. Do they play,feel, and sound exactly the same? If not, they are unique.

Why would Bach introduce Chicago and Philadelphia models if there wasn't some kind of "uniqueness" about the original models?

Can a Bach be adjusted after-market to change the way it plays, feels and sounds, and if not, why do top-notch players pay for such changes?

Just like every human, every trumpet can be seen as unique.

It just depends on which lens we look through. Dave has a finely-ground, unique lens of his own.

Plenty of real good trumpet-playing folk agree with his focus.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    VB is so certain of this that he has posted in bi-ocular :cool:ROFL just so you can certain of the focus.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was trying for 3-D.

It didn't work.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It would be interesting to learn the marketplace saturation of Monette.

So, out of all top of the line pro model horns sold, how would the percentages break down for all manufacturer's?

Since there obviously will be differences, how are they explained? Is it cost, marketing, perceived quality, sheer corporate size?

Let me add that it goes without saying that Monette is at a bit of a handicap due to their limited production capability, though some will argue this is exactly what they like about the company.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I don't know that Monette has any ambition toward market saturation. I do know that, if you want one of their horns, you'll have to wait a little while, as they build on order and have a hard time to meet demand.

I doubt that Monette would be willing to increase production capability to the point where he wouldn't feel in control of quality exactly to the extent he wants. I don't know exactly what it is that makes his instruments so much preferable to others by many high level players but it is a fact that they are in high demand among such players. I have never tried one and I'm not sure I could tell the difference at my level.

All in all they are expensive, but only because trumpet players are spoiled with cheap high level instruments. A $3-4K trumpet from any reputable manufacturer will make a perfectly fine instrument for a professional in any setting. Try find a pro level sax in that range, or a bass clarinet. How much does a concert harp cost? A high quality violin, or cello, (I'm not not even thinking of a period instrument made by the Italian masters)? A piano? We have nothing to complain about really.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    While what Phil says is true, its not unusual for professionals to purchase a Bb, C, Piccolo, Flugelhorn, Cornet and Eb to do their job.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Let's get back on topic.

So, for Joe (B15M) and the rest of those readers that have been fortunate enough (dogs! :)) to witness a horn being produced by Monette I have a few questions.

First off, everyone knows Monettes bells are softer than a typical trumpet's.
    So how do they soften the bell up again after the work hardening it receives during the spin forming?

Second, related to the first, how do they put any kind of finish (pre-plating, of course) on the bell and the rest of the horn without hardening the brass somewhat?

Third, do they actually form their slide tubes in shop or order them?
    And, if they are formed in shop are they hydroformed or die stamped?
    What sort of fill (if any) did they use in the forming process?

When the valve block is assembled, do they braze or solder, and if soldering do they use
    silver or not?
    Related - do they use industrial glues as Yamaha is supposedly doing?

Oh yes, a major question, are the leadpipes made in one contiguous piece or assembled?

Are the sheet braces stamped or hammered?

Does it appear that they were using temperature differential joining of pieces?

How many steps does each tech perform?

Do they ever rotate tasks?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't you think only making 6 horns a month plays into supply and demand? Doesn't that also make them more appealing? From what I see and hear, Dave makes a good product and his marketing campaign is working excellently. If he wanted he could hire more craftsmen and make more but by the rules of supply and demand he wouldn't be able to get as much if the market started to become flooded with his horns. It would end up being more work for him and less money per piece and less prestige.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The sax guy has to buy a clarinet and a flute

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Big Daddy is right.

This is one of the reasons I really admire what Jason Harrelson is doing with his business.

Anyone that knows Jason at all will tell you that he is ALWAYS looking for ways to build a trumpet more efficiently and hence more affordably.

Some of his early Bravura customers (yes I am one, but agree with his goals) were angry because as he became more efficient at building Bravuras he lowered the cost
    so many more people can afford them.

That's the difference that I see between these two perfectionists:
    Dave wants to sell 6 perfect horns (by his definition) per month.
    Jason wants to sell as many perfect horns (by his customers' definitions) as he can.

Two different goals and the market is big enough, fortunately to support both.