What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I couldn't begin to answer these questions. I went in as a trumpet player not a production guy. You should go through his videos on face book. He explains a lot there.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    It's obvious that you understand fully the laws of economics!

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's interesting that you mix Monette and Harrelson as if they were the same product.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The nerve! Can you believe it?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I can't answer most of these questions (though the basics of what they do to the valve casings might be in one their videos - I can't remember)
    My best guess on the sheet bracing is that it is carved out of stock - the same way their normal braces are (so neither).
    And I think each tech has his (or her) own specific job, and they stick to that, though over time they may rotate (they definitely mention various people as being the "valve guy" and so on in their videos).
    Again, this is from watching the videos and talking to my teacher who went to the shop, so its second hand at best ;-)

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think the point he's trying to make is that you're comparing two different manufacturers with very different goals...

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ha, only a true Monette apologist would interpret my comments in this discussion as equating the two instrument producers. Maybe its too hard to see that I was making a comparision just for comparison's sake?

Maybe its too hard to accept that just because I don't share your opinions on Monette's production procedure's that in no way indicates I think less of their mission or their product?

I know, forums are all about black and white, pro/con, us and them, not about actually discussing the "meat" of what makes on brand "taste" different from another.

Please excuse me for not falling into your either/or view of Monette lover or hater. Personally, I find it odd that anyone would "hate" a collection of brass tubes or the company that builds them.

Maybe my previous posts where I pointed out:

"People who think that [ed- Monette is 'screwing' people'] are just plain ignorant of what it costs to make a "perfect" trumpet, which is what Monette is trying to do."

Was totally out of character, and maybe I really do hate Monette?
    Hmmm....maybe there is a Santa Claus too?

Greg

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    That is not what was stated.

"It's interesting that you mix Monette and Harrelson as if they were the same product."

This is the statement.

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    You guys don't compare your wives or children in front of other people to their wives or children, right?

Let the horn that suits you find you~~ and let's just appreciate the knowledge, talent, and craftsmanship that both Dave and Jason passionately show through their horns.

Merry Christmas!

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    If I spent $$$$$$ on a trumpet (or anything else), I'd be an apologist too!