What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    I've never played a Monette Trumpet; however, I have owned several mouthpieces and they just do everything Dave claims (IMHO). Some really quality players agree with me such as Tony Kadleck; Craig Johnson; Seneca Black; John Chuddoba etc. Next to Monette, my favorite pieces are the Warburtons with the Series 80 back bores.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Its nearly impossible to discuss Monettes objectively since so few people own and play them regularly.

I've played a few, but have not owned one. I can't see myself ever buying one for the purpose of performance. I would perhaps for research purposes. Something like, maybe buy 10 of the same model and do some instrumented measurements and tests to document any uniqueness and also to record efficiency versus my other horns.

The last one I played I think was a Prana 3 that was traded in. The build quality was clearly very high, but I just was not impressed with how it played or sounded. For some reason it directed a lot of "hiss" back at the player - not for me.

This is where the Monette owners jump in and tell me that you must play them for a while to really judge how great they are and preferably in a big room. OK, whatever.

A great horn, great being easily recognizable to the player from note 1, should be a great horn fairly quickly. Like, in a 30 minutes of playing, not 30 days. But to each his own. If people want to take Dave Monette's view of trumpet playing over their own, or any number of other professional instructors', that certainly is their freedom. If it makes them a better player and Dave and his staff make a good living then all is well in trumpetland.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Please see below

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Markie sez:
    Do I own one? Nope
    Would I like to have one? Yep
    Do I need it to continue playing professionally? Nope
    --
    B15M sez:
    "But it would make your job easier".
    -
    OK, but only if I can own a Monette gold plated 993

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Right on, right on, right on!

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Well I guess it's clear that you don't like Monette trumpets.
    If Phil Smith came on here and said that he is changing to Monette you would probably say "I'm glad it works for you but not for me"

You stick up for Jason blindly though. I don't get it since everything I see from him is almost a direct copy of Dave. Everything from the trumpet designs to the YouTube videos.

What if I tried one of Jason's horns and didn't like it at first but after about 30 days it was great. Would that be a good horn or me or not the way to go?

What if I tried a trumpet and from 1 to 10 it played 8 so I bought it.
    What if I bought another trumpet and it played 4 but the guy asked me to adjust to it and after a couple of weeks it played 10? Wouldn't I be better off with the 10 trumpet?

By the way, I'm not mad or fighting either

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    gzent sez:
    A great horn, great being easily recognizable to the player from note 1, should be a great horn fairly quickly. Like, in a 30 minutes of playing, not 30 days.
    ---
    Not for me. I've never experienced one situation where the horn and me were an instant fit. The relationship "nuances" between the horn and myself aren't established.
    I have to get use to a horn and I'm guessing that the horn has to get use to me.
    Wow, I guess its kinda like shoes, just married, a new job, a new hip, and a new car..
    While its true that I can wear the shoes, love the new marriage, be excited about the new job, happy with the new hip, and just wild about the new car, they all take time before they "fit".
    However, this is how I adjust. Maybe you are different and that's OK. That's what makes us unique.
    --
    Speaking of "unique":
    How do you catch a unique rabbit?
    Unique up on it!
    How do you catch a tame rabbit?
    Tame way!
    --
    Did I just hear a cymbal crash?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Erm. I definitely more fall on the monette side of most of this threads :roll:
    But the Harrelson horns are heavy-weight horns (like taylors), both are trying to be as efficient as possible for the player, and that's about all I see in similarity.
    The youtube thing is quite common I among all industries now, if anything trumpet producers are late on that bandwagon. So follow pepsi?

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Hi. Original thread owner here.

First, Merry Christmas to all who made this a very interesting and informative thread; I have learned a lot.

The Monette website does seem to imbue their horns with "magical-like" properties, allowing users to do things that they could not do on their original horns. But, it is also true that following a test run, players talk about how much easier the horns are to play, i.e., accomplishing the same thing with less effort. I have had this experience when finding the right mouthpiece.

I have similar thoughts as GZENT. If the design is truly superior, then I would think that one of these horns could be studied to determine the characteristics of what constitutes a great horn. Then, we could all benefit as the various manufacturers add their own "twist". In one sense, it really is like the development of cars as the overall quality has vastly improved in the past 25 years (I understand that we still have porches).

I guess I hate the idea that playing the trumpet "may be" unnecessarily hard just because of inferior design. Although, I still love my Bach.

BrotherBACH

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Monette has said in the past that he easily would be able to upgrade the playability of any major manufacturer's trumpet very easily, for almost no additional cost if he was put in charge of their plant.