What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Actually, I wouldn't say anything since I don't care what Phil Smith or anyone else plays. I only care about what works best for me.

Blindly? Hardly. Jason is the number one (in # of sales) builder of custom horns in the world because he has worked his ass off for over 10 years doing nothing but living and breathing trumpet. If you knew how he purposefully ignores other builders designs and how much time he has spent in his shop (try 12 hour days 7 days a week for 10+ years) experimenting to get where he is you would know how ridiculous it sounds when people claim he "copied" Monette. What a joke.

Whatever works for you is fine by. Why does it bother (some) Monette owners that most people don't care for those horns? Is it insecurity?

As I've said many times before, I have no loyalty to a brand or pick a horn because some trumpet-jock has a video on YouTube playing it. I play what works best for me.

My last 5 Bb trumpets were REAL custom made horns assembled to work best for me (2 modified Olds, 1 modified Yamaha, 1 modified Getzen and a Harrelson Bravura). My everyday Bb is my modified Getzen because my (heavy) Bravura makes my left shoulder hurt on long gigs and the Getzen has a slightly easier upper range (but loser slots). How's that for blind loyaly, playing a beat up, modified Getzen 300 that I made in my shop for a little over $200 while my prized custom Bravura with Bauerfine valves sits in its case?

FYI - My C is a also Bravua, my Piccolo is a Zues and my flugel is a Jupiter.

I hate spending a dime more than I have to for top performance for horns I use less than 10% of the time, so only the Bb is where the big money purchase (Bravura) came into play.

I really only care about what works for me, not a wit about the brand.
    I play other horns when I get a chance and if I felt I could pick up something for $1000 or less that outplayed my own custom made horns I would buy it. It hasn't happened yet. The only horns that did were Harrelsons.

Greg

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    gzent sez:
    I really only care about what works for me, not a wit about the brand.
    ----
    Well said.
    However, if Victoria Secret was selling a Bb trumpet with one of their models giving lessons....well...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So,
    after 4 pages we are no further than after the first page. I guess this is just much ado about something that most have no experience with. In any case, the general tone is correct:
    Dave Monette has built a horn to his liking and has a following of amateurs and professionals. It is obviously worth it if you get a chance to play these horns - the longer you do, the more you will understand (which does not necessarily mean that you will be converted).

I was waiting until Harrelson came up and can tell you first hand that he is doing his own thing. They do not play or sound like Monettes, nor was that his design purpose. Just like the heavy Taylors (or Inderbinen or any other manufacturers), they have nothing to do with Monette. They all sound like what the artisan that built them wants them to. Those artisans all hear things differently and therefore point their clients in different directions.

Dave Monette is also correct in the fact that what he is doing could be copied if the others understood it. It is far more than weight, leadpipe design or materials.- It is the sum of all of the parameters. That my friends is also the message here: don't try and second guess the artisans. Play everything that you can get your hands on, take your time, learn about the manufacturers preferences, and after a bit of time, you will develop qualified preferences. At that point, opinions can turn into facts by laying cash on the table and making that research come alive. We can't take that process away, but we can point out that there is a lot of very closed minded, brand blindness out there - from supposed pros to kiddies alike. Listen to them, add the comments to your pool of possibilities but look for opposing opinions too.

Good luck!

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Rowuk, you should compile your multiple gem posts and write a book.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Asher,
    to be honest, it is more fun this way.

The funny thing is that the motivated player with only a bit of guidance, advances well with only the Arban book. Adding 100 other publications more does not change anything.

I generally use 4 books for the meat of my lessons: Arban, Clarke Technical and Characteristic Studies and the Irons Lip flexibilities. I have several other ones to spice up the learning process from time to time: Schlossberg, Hering, Kopprasch, St. Jacome, Colin............... I really believe that less is more. Most comments are only effective in context - especially what gets posted here.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I meant more of a philosophical book, i.e. "The Tao of Trumpet" ;-)

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree. Not necessarily a technical book ..... A philosophical, mind/body approach to playing? I think you've arrived at your own totally unique point of view, backed up by a lot of factual stuff, and that could be compiled in a book.:dontknow: Just a thought ....

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Asher, you beat me to that post by mere seconds ..... :lol:

T

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA

Once again you say what I couldn't say in ten posts. Well done!

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.