What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
  2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    That link was meant specifically for Greg but I guess he gave up with me.
    Sometimes I get carried away with the debate.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I have no idea how long it took Jason to build the Medusa.
    Its a real horn (seen it, played it) but I don't know what anyone would ever use it for.

Everyone once in a while Jason gets an idea that's bizarre even by his standards and builds something out of a Dr. Suess book.

One thing's for sure, his imagination seems endless.
    He's shared ideas with me (in confidence) for new features and manufacturing processes that are
    genius in their simplicity and originality that he has yet to be able to achieve.
    When he does, which, given his hard-headedness, he will, it will drastically change the trumpet landscape.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I just sat and read this entire thread, and to be honest it upset me (not that many, if any, of you will care that I’m upset). In a thread that could have been very informative I just read a thread about who has the biggest ….. Many of you have incredible amounts of knowledge to share and instead at times all you cared about was defending your opinion, or telling someone else why their opinions are wrong.

I play four different horns (Bach, Harrelson, Kanstul, Schilke). Each one has a specific job to do, and for me I found the four horns that work for me. I looked through a picture album of mine and I have pictures of 32 trumpets that I have owned, and I’m sure I’ve owned a few that I never photographed. A few years ago I sold off the collection and invested the money in my daughter’s college fund. A wise move on my part indeed.

I played Monette’s and they are amazing instruments. The horns I had were not made specifically for me, nor was my Bach Bb that was made in 1957. My Schilke Pic was hand selected and then tweaked for me, and my Kanstul Flugal was made with the modifications I specified. My Harrelson C trumpet was actually Jason’s personal horn and I bought it from him. I had nothing to do with the design of that horn, but it fits me perfectly. In my opinion it is the best horn in the world FOR ME.

My point is that I play the horns that work for me. The shoe fits me, and that’s all that counts. I loved my Monette’s, and respect the people that made those horns. I really tried to love Eclipse but never found a horn that really was great. I loved my Kanstul 1600WB (the best Bb I ever owned) and if the person who stole it from me is reading this thread I’d be happy to buy my horn from you if you would only bring it back to Papa.

So you guys keep on giving your opinions about what is great about Monette, or why some other horn is better. I’ll just keep on playing the horns that seem to fit me.

WOW, was that random or what!?!?!?!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Robin and I have an unspoken agreement. He deals with the reality of trumpet playing, and I the esoteric.

There is no "Tao of Trumpet," only Tao. Any "Tao of Trumpet" would be too confining, and therefor no longer Tao.

Too esoteric?

Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire's last chapter is entitled Bedrock and Paradox. Robin gives us bedrock in his posts. Great instrument makers deliver instruments that provide a paradox: e.g. great response with secure slotting. That is real hard to achieve!

Where is Tao to be found? Not in the instrument, not in an internet forum, but within yourself.

Such a book, if ever written, would only be for you, and you alone.

As you soar for the sky keep yourself grounded. That's the best synopsis of the mythical "The Tao of Trumpet" I can come up with.

Have fun!

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    In general I get very passionate about this kind of thread because I spent a lot of money on my trumpet and I'm somewhat of an insecure person.

When people start talking about how expensive the trumpets are and why would people buy them, I kind of feel like they are calling me stupid for paying so much money.
    Then when we talk about manufacturing and rate per hour and all that stuff they are basically saying, "Not only are you stupid but, you got ripped off".

It's probably all just me being insecure and I should stay away from Monette threads.

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Dr. Dave is in the house!!!

Passion = good thing
    Spent a lot of money = nobody else's business
    Insecure person = in reality aren't we all insecure?
    When people talk about cost = consider the source
    Feel like they are calling you stupid = Ask yourself, are they really jealous and would they love to have Monette them self so they can actually compare horns
    manufacturing rate = non factor about anything in life as it says nothing about quality
    Stay away from Monette threads = you have hands on experience with those horns and your posts for years have been among the best on this site.

Keep posting because you're good. Keep being passionate because that is who you are. Keep being insecure because it "keeps you on your toes". Keep spending money because it keeps great horn makers in business. If you have any extra money you can send it to me! (now that would be stupid).

B15M likes this.
  8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Hang in there B15M!

Everyone has their own personal reasons for purchasing the horns they play and enjoy. Those who criticize, in general, are those who do not, and cannot possess one of these marvelous trumpets. Would I like to have one? ABSOLUTELY! Will I ever? Doubtful. The trumpet world offers many horns so everyone can get those they desire.

I own a very expensive Gibson Mastertone banjo, a discontinued RB4. Am I professional? NO! But I love to play it for small groups and for my own pleasure. It was my choice and I do not regret it. Are there those who would criticize my decision? Yes, but I am not concerned with their opinion.

I am very happy with my Connstellation 38B and My Olds Recording R10, but if the opportunity to own a Monette presented itself, I would jump.

B15M likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't get too upset. Those that ridicule would buy one if they had the money. It's a fine horn. I can afford one monetarily, but not if I want to stay married!:lol: If Dave gave some of these naysayers a horn, they would probably change their tune (and use the horn).

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Its only natural, well, for trumpet players anyway, to be passionate about their instrument. Everyone wants to feel like they are playing the best horn they can afford, don't they.

I don't think its stupid to buy a horn that is considered by many people as the best that money can buy. Its the people that don't understand how many hours and steps it takes to build a Monette and then say its a ripoff - they are the ignorant ones. What do people think that factories run on air?

No, you shouldn't "stay away", because its good to share our experiences with the various brands as honestly as possible. Its the people that slam a brand like Monette, Harrelson, etc. with no real experience - those are the people that should stay away.

My only "knock" on the brand is that Dave has his own idea of how a trumpet should sound and some of the Monettes I've heard don't
    have the trumpet sound that is customary. That's not a "bad" thing, just different.

Perhaps he's just ahead of his time. Personally, I'm really glad today's trumpets don't sound like some of the tinny, small bore instruments
    of 100 years ago. So, tastes do change.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010