What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Since it is a custom horn, the sky is the limit. I think they start at 8k. The one I played cost that. It is a beautiful horn as well.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It is a free market, but that could make it a tough choice for a pro, considering you could get a custom Bb from almost any other maker, plus a new Bach C Artisan, and a pro flugelhorn to boot. For the same money.:-?

Turtle

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I called about a year ago and asked about price I was told about $12,000.00 and that doesn't include a case.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    P3 STC was 14,550.00USD last summer

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria

If you can afford to spend 12K on a single horn, I doubt that the price of the case would be of any concern at all...

6. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    Monette trumpets are interesting to me. There is so much effort put into cosmetic refinement and gold plating. Is the instrument really worth the 10k+ you will pay for it? It is very dependent on you. The horns are visually striking, and unmistakable to other trumpeters. There's a whole lot of ego associated with the instruments.

I'm not saying that Dave Monette is a snake oil salesman. The trumpets are certainly of the finest quality. The difference between buying Monette and buying any other custom instrument is based on your values as a player.

If Monette had indeed created the perfect line of trumpets for everyone, you would see every serious professional playing on them. The bottom line is that preference in trumpets is deeply personal. Monette often holds appeal for people before they even try one. That is the nature of the industry.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    The Monette trumpet prices are ballpark for (some) professional musicians. Professional quality double basses, whether new or used/antique usually start at around $6000 and can range up to $20K-$40K. And that is also for hard working, relatively lesser known musicians, not just Christian McBride.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think Monette can cost the same as some intro bassoons. ;-)

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Where'd you find them for that cheap???

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Music 123. An all plastic version goes for $4000!!!. Glad I play the trumpet, YIKES!:woop::woop: