What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    10k for starters

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    For starters, not all Monettes are super expencive... just the new ones are. If your going to get a Prana then yeah 9k is the cheepest I have seen for a Bb, but you can pick up a 973 for around 5k... which still is a lot, but hey if we all played violin then $1,000,000 would be a lot.... so.

As for the level at which Monettes preform... I love them, I have played a few of Daves horns and all of them where stunning in every way.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:shock: That's one good reason to pick trumpet over the double bass. Carry-on would the another .....

Turtle

Not to mention you never have to buy strings for the trumpet.:play: You know what a set of those go for a double bass? A lot. Like the price of an Ambassador.

4. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    With a trumpet there's only 3 things to push and no one expects you to sing at the same time.

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

Good point. Although there is a woman in a recent thread that can play not just two, but three trumpets at once. If anyone could sing while playing (1 or 2) horns, she'd be the one.

Jon, thanks for that link. I was going to make the point that you rarely see them used--a good sign of high quality--but I think this must be where all the used ones are. Great site! And no wait for a used one either.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Anyone up for a time share???

For $1k you get 2 months out of each year with it. :dontknow:

You could buy a guy out of his 2 months after he got tired of the whole deal and have 4 months! Just think, that's all summer if the others let you have it during those months ....

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Who gets it during marching band season! :D

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Monette is just one of many fine artisans. The difference is that he does not use "a better Bach" as his business model. He has a different tonal quality than the rest. Is that better? Well, if one appreciates choice it is. Is that "better" something all players should strive for? In my opinion, no as then there is also no choice.

Let's look at the numbers: he builds 6 instruments per month and has a waiting list of 14-16 months. That is not a whole lot of horns and is no "competition" for a Bach or Yamaha that sell thousands.

Last time I took the time, I counted around 75 mouthpiece manufacturers of which 10-15 had big numbers and the rest could be viewed as specialty. Monette builds mouthpieces that behave differently than the rest. The intonation is different, the way the pitch locks in is different, the tone quality is different. His Prana series is so different that many don't become friends in a short period of time - some never.

I have been playing Monette mouthpieces since 1997 and his horns since 1998. They are fine instruments. I use the mouthpieces exclusively (except for the natural trumpet) My Bach, Selmer, Holton, Heckel, M├╝nkwitz, Getzen horns still get played quite a bit. There are just now additional choices when I play. It is my opinion that the Monette mouthpieces and instruments are well worth what they cost. The geeks often make the horns out to be something that they are not. Most of the comments on the net are obviously from players that have never played them for any length of time and therefore really have no idea what they are about.

There is an excellent critical report here by Erik Veldkamp here at TM. He is a Dutch pro lead player and tried a Monette for a while and now has a Hub van Laar. There are also a couple of posts by Joe Spitzer that really document his journey. I have also posted a bit as has Manny Laureano and others. It really does come down to each player that is interested needs to take the time to check these unique instruments out. For some it is an instant eargasm. For others it is not the direction that they want to take.

It is not magic and the horns do not make the impossible possible. They allow well practiced players a broad range of color, articulation and dynamics. They are worth investigating.