What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good post, Rowuk. There are many great trumpets being built today, that's exciting. This sentiment seems to have a wide following, especially among the top players today, and they are the ones most in the know. Expensive is always a relative term.

And Tobylou8, I don't think anyone should have the time-share Monette during marching band season. In fact, I think there should be a NO MARCHING RULE. How would YOU like to be the guy who gets it AFTER marching season?????

And btw, since I don't have any gigs yet, I'd be happy to take it whenever the others don't want it. But since it was my idea, I should get to pick the Monette. Check out the first one from that link above ..... oh yeah, baby. That's the one.:play:

Turtle

Okay, so it's a little more than 6k ..... we need two more people.:shhh: Aiy, this is getting messy ... Okay it probably won't work.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree about marching band season. Let's also rule out use in drum corp! :D

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Right! Definitely no drum corps. You know what drummers are like.:-P

Keep them away from the Monette!:evil:

So ....... I figure, like all time-shares, there are maintenance costs. Initially, if we can keep it away from drummers and marching, the only costs would be shipping it along to the next trumpeter in line. Like, $40 a year, or something. That's nothing. Compare that to my own annual acoustic guitar string costs ...... I go through a set a month ....... they're $10 a set. You can do the math. Heck, the Monette's a bargain.

Turtle

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A drunk drummer used the bell of my Getzen as a snare one time.:x:x:x:soap::soap: I had to be physically restrained to say the least. Don't forget insurance!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have two b-flat trumpets that I use. A Monette MF Prana and a Bach ML 37. As Robin said, they both have a place. Every time I Play the Bach, I wish I were playing the Monette. The Monette is easier for me to play. Isn't that what we're looking for?

A lot has been made of the sound of the Monette. I can hear a difference between the Bach and Monette. I'm not sure the audience can tell the difference. Really, it doesn't matter to me. It has the sound I want.

I took some lessons later in life from a major pro. The lessons at this level cost 160.00 each. Is it worth it? I learned a lot. I play way better because of the lessons. How much is it worth to play better? I guess each person would answer that differently. I bought the Monette trumpet because it made me play better. I am of the belief that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. The trumpet is part of the link for me. I put it to my face every day and have an intimate relationship with it as we make music together. I want the best match I can get.

When shopping for a trumpet how do you know which way to go? It's almost impossible. I have played other custom trumpets that also played well. Had I gone in that direction I might have saved some money but, maybe it wouldn't have worked and then I would be out money.

How do the Bach players do it? If Monette is so great and custom is the way to go, why do so many great players play Bach? This question has haunted me for all the time I've played Monette. I think it must be a history thing. Someone like Phil Smith learned from a great Bach player and it's a part of his playing. After a while you are so successful with the approach that a change just feels wrong. I think you as a musician have to be open to change. In musical interpretation and sound and how to physically play. Look at Charlie Schlueter. His sound and stile are different than Phil Smith and yet, the same teacher. People sometime criticize Charlies playing. I was at ITG when he played an excerpt that awed a room full of trumpet players. Probably a bunch of Bach guys and he was on a heavy Monette.

Sorry for the long post. I feel a little like Kirk.

The point is, Be open to music in any form. Listening, playing, equipment, whatever.
    What is it worth? How badly do you want it? What is required to get it? Each person is different.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Quick thought...someone (no names, please!) on this website mentioned the fact that the performance of trumpets, and/or their mods, exists to a large degree in the mind of the player. Add to that the fact that I have heard pro-players make student horns sound awesome. So, I have to agree with the above comment previously made on this forum.

Disclaimer: The above is not intended to discredit the reputation of any manufacturer, or person, dead or living!

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If what you are saying is true, Why don't we all play on the cheapest possible? Why do all the pro players play on pro trumpets?
    Why would a pro play a Bach instead of a Getzen or a Getzen instead of a Bach?

I think the answer is because the trumpets all pay differently, which leads me to believe that the trumpet is a big part of the equation.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Again, using the quote from this forum (not my words, BTW), the answer is easy. The difference (real or imagined) exists in the players mind. And, to take it one step further, perception IS reality.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Well,
    Most of the stuff on this forum is opinion so to make a statement from an opinion is flawed in itself. On top of that, it's hearsay which calls in questions too.

If you look further into the forum, you will find a thread on how a trumpet works. Read the thread and apply it to a cheapo horn and you will have your answer. (if you want to base an answer on something from the forum)

10. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway