What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    hearsay - unofficial or unverified information gained or acquired from another.
    Based on this, is it not possible that a large degree of the posts here fall into this category?

As this is an opinion forum, and we all have opinions, they are all equally valid or equally invalid. You take your choice. And since opinions here are are in no short supply, it's easy to find an opinion you happen to like and then run with it.

And the post I submitted did not contain my words, they were the words from replies that included a moderator, as well as others. The moderator's (and others) opinion was used since if his opinion applies in the original (another topic) statement made by the individual, it would apply equally here.

When you spend $$$$ on any horn, your expectations will be influenced by your investment. And since expectations are often the base from which your perception evolves, and perception often times is reality, much of what takes place exists in your inner consciousness. And yes, what you perceive as real IS real to you.

Let me emphasize there is no effort here to malign or degrade the reputation of anyone, anything, or any entity.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All opinions are not equal and never were. Only the uninformed prefer to think so. Equally so, just because one (or more) reader(s) are too lazy to learn the math/physics does not make a statement by another member hearsay. What is fact is that in an open internet forum, we all have an equal right to post what we desire - regardless of how uninformed.

What is necessary to compare horns does in fact vary from player to player. It really does have a lot to do with their background, the ability to turn the eyes off and really listen. Even without great perceptive capability, a valid opinion can be formed - with enough effort and perhaps a bit of guidance from someone in the know.

It is amazing how threads concerning a very small company named Monette (6 horns a month) can get so off track - mostly by posters that have never spent any (enough) time with these instruments and prefer to quote other sources that obviously also have not spent any quality time. It sometime seems as if the world is in danger because a particular manufacturer decides to offer something out of the box.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    opinion - n. 1. belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce certainty. 2. beliefs or judgments shared by many: social opinion.

To the holder of the above, the belief is valid. Perhaps a number of uninformed people are drawn to this forum with the desire to rid themselves of the above adjective.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I smell a smackdown coming! BOOYAA!!:woop:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Owning both student and pro horns, there is no comparison as to which is the better instrument. The pro horns are the ones that get played in public. The student horns are fun to mess around with and reminisce about your youth, but they do not get played in public. Simply put, why would I "walk" when I could ride? I wouldn't! Riding is easier and more enjoyable and if it ain't fun, why do it. Why fight the inadequacies of a student horn when a pro horn is available? You can, but most will not. For some that can afford it, Monette is the pinnacle of the art of trumpet craftsmanship and that is why they buy it.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Warning: What you are about to read may contain hearsay and opinion.

Monette is a fine company with a stellar reputation. But out of curiosity, a couple of highly respected pro-players I know have been asked their opinion (I warned you) on this company.
    Now for the hearsay...I was advised that while the horns are very good, they have exceeded the point of diminishing return on a cost vs. performance basis.

As the company is small, Monette will not be able to realize economy of scale like other manufacturers. Add to that the fact each horn is truly custom built for the owner, and you see why the production rate is slow and why the cost is so high.

The people their obviously have found a niche in the marketplace and have succeeded at creating a certain mystique about their products. For this they are to be congratulated! There is a certain amount of snob appeal that other companies only dream of obtaining.

None of this is scientific data, and can be argued to the point of nausea.

I would be interested to learn how much Yamaha, Getzen, Bach (or your favorite company) would charge to build a total custom one-off model, if they would even agree to tackle such a project.

7. rivnut

rivnut Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2010
    And really, when you come right down to it, about the only instrument cheaper than a trumpet is a kazoo or a "sweet potatoe".:D Owners of the more expensive strings and woodwinds would find someone balking at $12,000.00 laughable. We've had it easy with our bits of plumbing. Since the beginning, orchestras and conductors have had to look the other way and suffer the small brass.:play: Perhaps what makes these high prices seem so over the top is the fact that as trumpeters we know that the instruments will never carry us beyond a certain point of efficiency and no further expenditure will be of any use. 10 or 12 grand may very well represent the ultimate value of a good trumpet in todays dollars. For many of us, and certainly not the richest, it's possible to make that much in 2 to 3 months. Back in the twenties a horn worthy of a top orchestral position would have taken a great deal longer for the average person to earn.

8. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Diminishing returns on a cost/performance basis is true in any field I've ever been involved or interested in-firearms, knives, optics, you name it. Also true is the fact that there are fewer people who can afford and/or are willing to pay for the items at the top of the pyramid- seems to work out pretty well, no?

There are knifemakers who charge 10 times what you can buy an excellent knife for and have 5 year waiting lists- can one of their knives be worth ten times more than the $200 knife? Or even the $20 knife that many afficionados swear by? Obviously the people on the waiting list think so.

Now consider how much more complex a trumpet is than a knife, both in manufacture and desired attributes/performance.

9. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I guess I dont have much of an opinion-I havent, I wont, or never will spend $12,000 on a trumpet. Ill just stick to my $500.00 Jupiter and be happy!!!!!!!!:play: And Ill make it sound good!!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who is in a position to determine diminishing returns? Someone who has never enjoyed the other side? Only people from the other side? We find the same cheap excuse making in food, cars, watches, vacations, wine and many other areas of life.

The weakest of all arguments is price. Why can't we accept that there are simply things out of range for us without trying to find an excuse? Especially when Monette comes into play, we seem to attract all of the economic experts...............

The facts: 6 instruments and a bunch of mouthpieces per month, 10 employees in Portland, Oregon. The required price is easy to calculate this way - especially considering that Dave Monette and his staff do attend a lot of clients concerts to enjoy and critically audition their efforts.

Yamaha does work with pros and come up with one offs. As this is not their business, I haven't seen any "calculated prices" for this equipment. The Yamaha Atelier used to be in the Frankfurt area and now is in Hamburg. They are the ones over here doing this work. Thomas Lubitsch is the magician there.

Bach has recently also picked out dealers for custom builds with "standard" parts. There was a prize given away here at TM a couple of years ago of a custom Bach. There are pictures during the build too.

I do not respect any clowns that have a need to judge without experience. What is wrong with admitting that it is simply out of ones price range or after giving it a fair shake like Trent Austin, Erik Veldkamp or Bud Herseth determine that they want to go elsewhere? Sounds like the beginning of an inferiority complex to me. Maybe if the "unknowing" would just open their minds enough to try the horns before making noise, they would discover what those that already have had the opportunity are talking about. Then they could determine if that is something worth striving for (or not). The rest is simply drivel.

I think that the thread owner now knows what Monette is about. Controversy among players that have tried them and also those that haven't. A couple of simple questions always shows if the player has really played the instruments or not. There are some things unique to Monettes that the "informed" are aware of.