What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think this thread has gotten psychologically out of control. Are we talking about trumpets or are we doing therapy here???????

Bottom line: They are bloody EXPENSIVE. Many more players, both pro and amateur, would be playing them if they weren't so bloody expensive. A lot of pros who would do well by them, don't play them because they can't afford them. They are twice to three times what every other horn manufacurer charges and so that's not opinion, it's fact. Again, I have to ask Monette, WHO CARES HOW GOOD YOUR HORNS ARE? When we can't afford them?:dontknow:

Turtle

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is more speculation:
    If they made them more affordable, and sold way more horns, what would happen to the quality.
    They already have more horn orders than they can make. You have to wait about a year before they even start the process.
    They could lower the price to compete with Bach and whomever and hire more people and then we would be writing about the old days when Monette was good.

I don't understand how we can say that they are overpriced when he has a year + or - lead time. There are still a lot of people that want a new Monette. Ask yourself why? We can talk all day about why not, how about change the thread to Why would people play them?

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Good point, B15M. "The old days when Monette was good ...." That's a great point. Maybe Monette's price reflects what would be normal if all considerations of "price point" are ignored and the best possible instrument is made. Hard to say ....

What about in the past? Back in the 40's or 50's or 60's ..... When pros were buying Martins, Olds and Conn ..... (the Committee, in its day was admirably affordable!!!). Was there, at that time, also a custom shop that was charging 5-10 times what all these manufacturers were charging for their top of the line pro horn?:dontknow:

Turtle

btw, the only reason they have such a long waiting list is they make so few horns. Imagine the waiting list for Bachs if they shut down 90% of their output.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    All of the above are great points, Turtle!

But the bottom line is the perception of value by the owner of the horn. To paraphrase my teacher..."If you think it's a good deal for you, then it's a good deal for you."

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can't answer about the older horns. I guess if they knew what Dave knows today, they might have a 10,000.00 line of trumpets. Those horns were the best for the time. Are they better or as good as Monette, some think so and others don't. That's why we have this thread.

If Bach shut down 90% of the output, they would probably make a better trumpet and could raise the price.

We can't argue about something that is subjective. It's a state of mind. I think worth the money and it helps me play better and works better than other trumpets I've tried. You think a Bach is good enough. What ever works.

6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    The thing that I've always noticed is that Monette seems to have a lot of employees for the size of the company. It's not like Lawler buying valve sets and assembling components in a shed behind his house. Dave builds every part of the horn in-house now and I would imagine that Monette has a lot of overhead as well.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The following definition from Merriam-Webster:
    Opinion noun
    1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

seems a bit different than the one from TrumpetDreamer. I believe that an expert opinion indeed rests on grounds sufficient to produce certainty.

Monettes may be expensive, but are they bloody expensive? Surely that is a point of view which is not really germane to the discussion here.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Does this mean that Bach now produces an inferior product, and perhaps overcharges for what they build on a QC basis?

Bach owners...do not be offended. I'm just curious.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Looks that way from the videos. which I have to say, are very fun to watch. I think I recognize this kind of Oregon company, where the employees love what they're doing and have fun at it. It's hard to imagine a better job than building trumpets, if you like to build things.

If I don't stop commenting on this thread, I'll probably get so intrigued that I'll have to make the (10 hour) trek to see the shop and try one out. Okay, I'm leaving now ....:shhh: (just how good are they? argh, I wanna know)

Turtle

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Taken directly from Random House College Dictionary, revised edition, copyright 1982.