What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Veery, I think it's just an adjective but relevant. I think it's as relevant or more relevant than anything here. Absolutely germane to someone who's working hard, wants a better or easier to get sound, but can't afford it.

Turtle

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Comparing Bach to Monette is like comparing Ford to Aston Martin (if they are still around). One is for the masses and the other is not. Monette's vision isn't to be Bach/Ford, but to be Aston Martin. To complain about the price is really a non sequitor. It is a hand made horn. There are players that want it. There are dealers to sell it. And there is a wait to get it. Whether one likes the pricing or not is irrelevant.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    and that's precisely what is wrong with college these days!

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think they are overcharging. I think that the standard Bach could be better. If not, why the new line?

This is all based on my opinion which is based on the Bach that I own. Maybe other Bach trumpets play better. I don't really care for mine.
    I don't want to bash Bach. A lot of people like them and a lot don't. Just like Monette.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Again, price is the cheapest of all arguments - and simply does not apply here or mostly anywhere else either. The VALUE could always be the purchase price versus the resell price. Go to Used Trumpets at Pro Shop for Brass Players and check out what the used horn is worth. Very similar to a more expensive car, the value remains. To a poor kid in Africa, a new Bach Strad is equally "out of range" - but does not generate the low level comments................

As far as comparing the Monette to a Bach, what does that prove? That a mass produced horn can have a high value too? If you haven't spent time with the horns, you simply don't know what they are about and trying to talk down the playing characteristics because you simply don't have the cash is pretty weak.

If you have found equipment that you are happy with, then fine, use it, play your soul out. If you haven't spent time with Monette, don't make excuses. He is living his dream and has found enough players willing to share that dream. Many of those customers cannot be considered "rich". They have simply saved up until the dream could be made possible.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    You know what I find funny?....... No not that! I'll tell you. For years i have sat back and watched posts on this site, even from very credible players that say that it is not the horn, it's the player.
    The 'I can play like me on any horn' and 'There is no such thing as a jazz horn' posts tickle my fancy given the fact that people can get so hot under the collar about monettes.
    Obviously, given the level of dogma the horn does matter.
    Many of these statments have come from people with horn endorsements which I find funnier still.
    Sorry to digress. Carry on.:dontknow:

B15M likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you!

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
  9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Let me just add this thought...when researching what horn to buy I asked Jay Saunders (trumpet teacher - UNT School of Music, director of the UNT 2 O'Clock Lab Band, former lead trumpet - Stan Kenton Orchestra) what his advice would be.

"Its just like buying a pair of shoes. Do not pay attention to price, as it alone means little. You simply have to find a horn that fits you."

If the shoe (insert your favorite brand) fits, wear it!

10. P76

P76 New Friend

May 22, 2009
    The Golden City of OZ
    It is amazing how much heat is created by any forum discussion of Monette.

Being in the fortunate position of having played a couple, I can say they are VERY fine horns, but not for me.

I think it's also germane to re-iterate that Monette is a custom horn-maker, therefore any horn you may get your hands on to play (unless it's YOUR horn), has been built for someone else - so the ones I played had not been built for me, which is probably why I felt the way I did about them. BUT, you can see how much work is gone into them.

On the question of price, the fact of custom-built also comes into it. And it's not custom built like a Lawler for example, where you get to pick from a stock of certain parts - a Monette is truly a one-off instrument, where everything is change-able (because they do it all in-house). Not all custom hornmakers are the same....it's worth keeping that in mind. (This is not to disparage Lawler in any way, fine horns, which I've enjoyed more than the Monettes I've played).

While $12K is a BIG price to pay for a horn, it's probably a fair price to pay for the work that goes into it.

And yes, a good player can make a student instrument sound good, but it's much easier to sound good on a pro instrument, and easier again on an instrument built for YOU alone. And for good players, efficiency is the name of the game.

Cheers,
    Roger