What is it about Monette?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    You say based on what?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't know if anyone (other than ZeuS) claims to make the best available horn

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Good one!

The builders with class make a point not to disparage other builders; they let their product speak for itself.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    During the purchase of an instrument, the manufacturer went to great lengths to "educate" me as to why their trumpets were among the best available, if not the best. At no time was any other name mentioned. And, quite frankly, if a manufacturer does not feel their trumpet is the best available (at a given price point) I would not want to own one.

Can you imagine contacting a manufacturer's sales rep to inquire about their product and then be told that their competition actually produces a better trumpet? I don't think so.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I know about Monette the same way you know about Harrelson.
    I own 5 of them and ask a lot of questions. I became pretty friendly with an employee there and friendly with some other Monette users.

I have a pretty good idea how the factory is run. I have been there and have seen it. That's why he has you fill out a questionnaire, and talks to you on the phone and try out different mouthpieces.

When I bought my first Monette trumpet, I went to the factory and played for them and they took notes. They asked me to play different things in different styles seeing what I can and can't do. Who knows, maybe it was all just to make me feel good about my purchase but, I think they really used the information.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Wow, I didn't think they would let anyone watch them
    during the construction and see any of their proprietary
    processes! Good for you!

Did they make you sign a non-disclosure
    agreement of any type?

If not, well we are waiting...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

My old teacher went to the shop and when he was having final adjustments, Dave Monette blocked his view with his body - so their is definitely some proprietary stuff their (SHOCKING!) but a lot of it is just craftsmanship...

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Well I just saw some videos on youtube with Maynard and Wynton (not in the same video) trying out their Monettes and liking what they play. If this company does/did work for those two, then IMHO they're onto something. Now if I can only a) win the lotto, and 2) convince Monette to let a rank amateur in the front door, I'm in business! :)

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

2 isn't a problem.
    a) is.
    for many of us.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Grab some standard Bach 37's out of the box and compare them. Do they play,feel, and sound exactly the same? If not, they are unique.

Why would Bach introduce Chicago and Philadelphia models if there wasn't some kind of "uniqueness" about the original models?

Can a Bach be adjusted after-market to change the way it plays, feels and sounds, and if not, why do top-notch players pay for that?

Just like every human, every trumpet can be seen as unique.

It depends on which lens we look through to see it sometimes.