What is it we are after as a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    You nailed it with " Unafraid ".

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    What Im after as a trumpet player? Respect for what I do. Its one thing to call yourself a trumpet player or in broader terms, a musician, but when someone else calls me a musician, thats what its about. People in general have little idea of what an acomplishment it is to play whatever is in front of you well. When other trumpet players respect me I am satisfied to the max. Thats not to say I am looking to dominate anyone, lord knows there are countless that can play rings around me, but I want others to notice how I have improved with age, like wine, right?
    Many years ago the college band that I sit in with played a combined concert with a middle school band and after the concert the young child next to me turned to me and quite innocently asked with that emphasis in her voice "how OLD are you?" I laughed and tried not to have hurt feelings. Then I gave her a clue...Being a musician is a life long thing. If you can walk away from making music you never really had it to begin with. I know comebackers may take offence at this, but Im a comebacker too with 25 years off, and I know that adult life sometimes gets in the way of fun. The sooner we realize that trumpet is fun, and not hard work, the better it gets. Im technically much better than I ever was when I was young and I attribute that to the fun factor. I enjoy what I do. Other band member at the college view band as an inconvienience, I laugh and tell them that band is the highlight of my week...my joy. They think I must have a sad life, I tell them that they are the sad ones to not enjoy music. I just dont get it, I always liked band when I was young, I cant remember why I didnt stick with it durring that dark time when music slipped away from me.
    I just want to be able to play the music in front of me and when Im done say to myself, "there, that sounded good to me."

Oh BTW, I also want that mythical, magical trumpet that never lets me miss a note, no matter how high and no matter how long. Best wishes.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I thought it was a quest to be better -- high notes are a "focal point" of range --if you play higher notes --then you should be getting better.
    other than that -- musicality and tone, and everything else is also part of that quest ---
    and then there are attracting women -- but that must be for another thread

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I practiced around my pregnant wife. After our daughter was born a nurse was feeding her and the radio was on. According to the nurse, when a trumpet piece came on (it was around Christmas and a German classical station) my daughter's eyes got huge and she stopped suckling until the piece was over.

Is what we do fun? Not always, and I've kicked enough metronomes across the room to prove that. Is what we do meaningful? I think so. We are able to bring joy to others, bring closure and, well, fun to them as well. Whether as a hobby or a calling we do some good things for the world.

We drink beer, too.

5. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    As an "orchestral" trumpet player, i want the clearest, biggest, focused, fullest sound i can achieve. sure, high range and everything would be nice too, but i want to achieve my ideal sound at the same time.

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I want fortune and women...But I'm perfectly content playing for food and beer...and I'm talking about high end beer...Belgian ale...imperial stouts, barleywine...I've got to lube my chops :)

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Don't get me wrong the about high register its certainly a necessary bow to our strings...............
    It's just seems that we all to often concentrate on this that the general musicianship of playing the trumpet.
    We sometimes get impatient and strive for things beyond our abilities to do in a proper and professional manner.
    I would rather listen someone playing something that is within their reach than some one that is struggling with their instrument.
    Don't forget that trumpet playing is a life long goal in which we all should try to reach perfection without reaching it no matter who we are

8. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I gotta agree with everyone here....LOL on the one hand, i have a deep respect for the lead players, that can play almost an octave higher than my untrained,unpracticed range, BUT theres a huge difference to me in playing a well thought out "lower" or alto part, that adds a lot to the music as well....it bridges the gap between the lead and the low brass. And then theres the difference between blareing out your part (common issue for trumpets, at least in the group i play in) and "feeling" the music....playing it with emotion... I would personaly much rather play a lower part and leave it dripping wet with emotion than just blare out that high c....but, thats my perspective....:dontknow:

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I found in that developing my high range -- it does give more body and tone, and playability of the lower registers (IMHO) -- and helps with endurance, or endurance helps with higher range --- nonetheless I think that is why it is talked about more ---it is a "definite" quantity (a high C, high G, Double High C) that is not directly correlated with musicality which is subject to the audience at hand.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    For me musicality floats my boat. Range was always a problem for me, D above upper C was about my limit usually, with an occassional E. At a stage band comp., one of the judges wrote about me that getting that "high" note isn't always what's needed. it's kinda stuck with me ever since.......Buck:oops: