What is it we are after as a trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my old high school band teacher said the same thing to me --- and it wasn't until my recent comeback -- that I realized I have always aquiesced to anothers ideas of what you ONLY NEED -- so My comeback of the last 3 years --- I changed my mind, and have aquiesced to WHAT I CAN DO!!!!!!!!!!(whether I need it or not) -- I think that has proved beneficial in my oveall comeback, and view of what may be possible with my trumpet -- (IMHO)

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What we're after is to be a complete trumpet player.That's tone,technique,musicality and range. The question I have is ,why do players think if you have range ,then you don't have any of the other tools that makes us musicans? Some posters said they would rather have their nice tone and good technique instead of an altissimo register. I'd rather have it all,why must we choose? It's all part of being a complete trumpeter. Range like double or triple tonguing can be taught. The problem is finding a teacher that can do it.You wouldn't study double or triple tonguing with a teacher who had no idea how to do them,so why study with a teacher who doesn't know how to play and teach the upper register? It shouldn't have to be one or the other.

So why do we have two camps,those with and those without range. I shouldn't have defend myself for having range just because I worked and studied it and you didn't.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am camping with you Al -- so that makes a 3rd group of campers that - WANT IT ALL, and the key here is WANTING,(and doing) LEADS TO HAVING IT ALL as a trumpet player -- IMHO

4. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    That third camp of wanting it all is by far the hardest to achieve.... It takes hours a day of practice (in my opinion) that just arent there if you are in school, or working a 9-5 daily....

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- I have been calling it a sacrifice of TV, and other things I would normally enjoy. After spending nearly 2500+ hours in the last 3 years on the trumpet, and countless 1,000's of repetitions on scales and slurs --- the part of WANTING is slowly going over into the GETTING it all camp (or all that I can get in 3 short years) ---- and YES Bogieboy -- there is a cost!!!!!!!!!! and a sacrifice!!!!!!!!!!!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that we are all after different things. I am after the things that keep those that hire me loyal - that is not only things trumpet. There are others who, because they are not performing much, dream up stuff to be "cool". Yet others are working really hard with some aspect of playing. Any reason is legitimate as long as the player is happy at the end of the day.

Not all goals result in general acceptance by others. So what?

7. christos

christos New Friend

Dec 17, 2011
    greece
    The way to the top of a mountain is always uphill. I think that one should get into a great deal of trouble to tame his instrument, convert it to a reliable instrument to express him/herself.One can do that, or just call it quits, stagnant. there is a certain point though, where nothing is important: no notes, no technique, nothing. there is only music. then one realizes that aaaall the trouble and pain was worth it. even if it is something so volatile, that lasts for so little. this ever shifting point is what I am after.
    P.S: Happy is the man who knows that is in the right path.

Dupac likes this.
  8. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I just want to play good music. I also want to be able to play whatever I hear in my mind.

9. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    I like seeing that everyone here as alternate goals. Not everyone can be a pro and that shouldn’t stop us from enjoying playing. I play for relaxation, it’s an hour or so out of my day that I get to be selfish and do something just for me. I get to set my own goals and expectations, play what I want and to hell with everything else. I love it and look forward to playing those long G’s and slurs. The satisfaction of epiphanies, hitting a note just so, nailing phrasing, playing through something you once found challenging and saying to yourself, “Self, I’m improving”. Requests for, Happy Birthday, Auld Lang Syne, and serenading my neighbors with holiday music makes my day. Did I say I love it?
    I think a great goal for all casual players should be to replace guitars as the preferred fireside musical entertainment. I’m tired of these sensitive guitar players getting all the action. Are you with me? :play:

10. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Hey now!!!!!! Some of us trumpet guys are sensative guitarists too!!!!
    [​IMG]