What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    I'm not necessarily talking about the trumpet here. I like jazz but with classical you really get to know a piece and you are required to play to play it as close to perfection as possible. When playing jazz all your doing is learning the theory and you make up something new every time. You can learn solos and improve your improv but there is no solid thing you can look back on and say you achieved. Don't be harsh i am generalizing because I cannot express myself in better terms...

Ps. If you are wondering why I said classical or jazz. The classical trumpet repertoire isn't great... But I like jazz a lot and I'm also considering playing classical guitar. It seems really difficult though. If I could do both that would be great but I'm probably gonna stick with trumpet. Which brings me back to the question at hand: guitarclasical or trumpet jazz?

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Maccy D's Happy meal or Steak Tartare?

3. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Duh. It's happy meal.
    Ok aanyways. What do you people's prefer and why?

4. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    For me, classical. I never pretend to be a jazz player. I don't understand it. I don't know what good jazz is versus bad, probably because I have never been formally trained in it. Do you even have to be a trained jazz player to be good? I can certainly appreciate jazz when it suits my mood but playing it is just not for me.

5. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Thank you for your answer. But isn't the trumpet repertoire kind of.... Slim compared to some other instruments? Few of the great composers wrote for trumpet and what they wrote cannot be transcribed to trumpet. I'm a noob. So really take no offense i just want to get as much info as possible.

6. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    It's personal taste-sort of like asking what food is the most rewarding to eat.

7. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    For you... Thanks.
    And why

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I might be unusual, but I play whatever is put in front of me in the community band, and I would never listen to any of it by choice. Ever.

The only intersection between what I have played and what I like to listen to is Maynard or big band stuff.

Otherwise, I'd rather be playing rock (Hi Eric!).

Tom

9. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Interesting... Can you point e out some rock tunes? I'm an ubernoob at trumpet rock

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ides of March
    Chicago
    Blood, Sweat and Tears

Those three bands will get you started.

Tom