What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't mean to discount our personal fun factor at all but I just don't think it is primary, if it was then why do any of us perform, shouldn't we just sit at home and play for ourselves? That just sounds like practice, but I do like to practice. I rather view performance as sharing part of ourselves with our audience.

BTW: I like oompah music too.

2. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I was always partial to cellists and flutists for reasons that shall remain private but should be quite obvious.
    :evil:

Oh, and the occasional clarinet player because I like their uncontrollable squeals.

;-)

3. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Sousa phoned. The parade starts NOW.

Our high school marching band director had us play ALL the classic marches even though the other bands were playing arrangements of current popular music. I loved those old marches. He had me switch to baritone horn for a while because our concert band was doing "Victory at Sea" -- and I learned all the baritone parts with all the adornments and intricacies and then played them when I went back to trumpet.

The other guys on the trumpet line who always denigrated the baritone horn were suitably impressed, and I believe, maybe just a little bit jealous.

Those classic marching band baritone horn scores are awesome.

4. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    They say profanity is the attempt of a weak mind to express itself forcefully.

To those who say that, I say -- well, I can't say it here, being of empirically weak mind and seeing as this is a "G" rated forum.

:-D

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey

". . . this one time at band camp . . . "

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Aside from the Marines and Navy bands he directed, Sousa's renown commercial bands and prolific music are attributed as having marched in parade only 7 times. Among the classical composers there are lots of march music, but whether or not a contemporary parade would include them is ambiguous. Some might even include a funeral dirge parade as a march simply because the players walked in synchronization, and the scenario I have in mind on the flip side as is pure jazz on the return parade "march" through the streets. Yeah, Mozart and Beethoven, among many others composed marches ... so the question is ... were they marches in actuality or classical concert music?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've yet to find a classical composition that I cannot transcribe / transpose for trumpet / brass instrumentation. Quite frequently I "steal" violin and C piccolo music to play on my piccolo trumpet & regular Bb trumpet.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Most of us are not strangers to profanity; it has its place, but not on TM. One can also allude to a particular word, as you have, without being offensive.

9. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I agree, Jericho. We have to realize there are people of all ages viewing this site so we have to behave accordingly. But we also have to realize that actions speak louder than words, yet I don't hear or see the level of concern adults place on profanity being expressed regarding the lessons our children learn not by what we say but by watching what we DO -- and we've been doing some things lately that are far more dangerous to our children's future than profanity.

I'll stop there. But any adult should be able to figure out what I'm talking about since most of the children have figured it out already.
    ;-)

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Good question! Composers usually aren't independently wealthy, and take commissions gladly. The marches written my Mozart and Beethoven were, for the most part, written to be marched to, at least once (check the orchestration for wind band). Sousa orchestrated around 80 of his marches for theater orchestra, meant to be played sitting down. (Even Woody Allen found it difficult to march with a cello.)

Classical music, I believe, is not classical in the sense of a time frame, but rather because they are classic.