What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Wynton Marsalis seems to have a favorable bias to Jazz but he can play classical. I think either styles are equally rewarding. Both styles are difficult to to find competent musicians to work with.

I personally prefer jazz. But I enjoy classical. The problem I have with classical is listening to piston valved trumpets. I think the baroque trumpets have more lively articulations. Classic brass with period correct instruments is so really rewarding.

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    OK rather late but I'll dive in ?

Jazz or classical ? both ,but for different reasons :

Jazz ;not a big fan and cant play much ,although i do have a version of When the saints go Marching in ,in my head that i play during practice just for fun :D

Classical; Yes ! as a student of band ,marching,concert , i like the (structured) part of classical .

Religious\hymns\Praise etc. Very similar to classical ,in fact in some places both are mixed ,but played for a different reason ,very satisfying if played correctly and with feeling.

Modern ; 60'70's etc.; You bet ! With over 100 players and a guy who had a drum set in our band ,we would literally lift the roof of the gym when we played 25 or 6 to 4, by Chicago during a B ball game :thumbsup: glad we had a director who got popular music for us to play .After the 80's I'm pretty ignorant of what's available for trumpet in popular tunes ,i did however find a book of Eagles hit's transposed for trumpet ,cant hardly wait til I'm good enough to play those :woop:.

All this to say one thing,,,,,,,,,,,, Don't limit yourself to any particular type of music !! It's all good ,and when you are accomplished enough to play it, it's even better :roll:

Enjoy! and keep :play::play:

Dean_0

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Where did you find the Eagles book? My favourite band, would love to get a copy.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At the Hotel California?:dontknow:

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    E.Bay

From Warner Bros. pub 1997
    Editions available for Flute,Clarinet,Tenor sax,and trombone.
    ISBN # 1-57623-741-9
    Title ; Best of the eagles for trumpet
    24 songs

hope that helps :)

Dean_0

6. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    And it always ends with "...good thing I didn't bring my good instrument!"

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    But once you get the book, you'll be stuck playing in a netherworld between classical and jazz. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Good thing she didn't bring a tuba. (rim shot!)

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What, Brass Bands then?

9. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    You can say that again! The chances could double I'd be flat! (slide whistle!)

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    you guys are so #!! :huh::lol: