What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Coolio.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  3. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Honestly.i tried it. I'm not a rock person past jimi hendrix. Lol

4. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Play what's in your heart, focus on one instrument at a time and if you have to ask which is more rewarding look at it like this: There is not a genre out there that isn't having financial issues.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Show me a classical song I can't play on trumpet and other brass, and I don't care what instrument(s) it is currently written for ... let me refer to Rudolfo Luigi Boccherini's string quintet rendition of the Minuet which I have in my brass repertoire. He was an acclaimed Italian cellist. IMO, one learns much more about music from classical than jazz, and I don't believe even one of the best trumpet / flugelhorn jazzers on TM will dispute this ... and I'm sure he could play most classical as well on his own Hammond B3 organ.

6. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    Sorry for any trouble. You mean for brass ensemble? I want to play solo which obviously affects my decision.

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    The question you're asking is just the same. One day I'd be hankering for a happy meal; another I might fancy steak tartare. The same with music, listening to it or playing it. So there is your answer: I like both, but only when the mood takes me, and you're forgetting traditional trumpet music such as Arban, unless you were classing that under classical too. There is plenty to keep you occupied as a classical trumpet player.

Aren't you the one who was debating between sax and trumpet just a few days ago?

If you want an answer as to which is the more rewarding, all I can say is that it depends how you define being rewarded. What do you define as a reward, musically? Define that and you have your answer.

8. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    beginner, let me exemplify Ed's answer with a Youtube clip. The following trumpet concerto is, in fact, a violin concerto but it has been transcribed for piccolo trumpet and played as a trumpet piece so often, it is now regarded as such. The virtuoso is Maurice Andre, regarded my many as the greatest piccolo trumpet player ever - enjoy:

Maurice André interprète Tartini - YouTube

9. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    I want to enjoy it all !!!! But I have to find out more about the classical trumpet music available. For example ao g time ago I saw this post:http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f145/trumpet-repertoire-weak-24320.html that really affected my decision and I did more searching around for trumpet music but didn't find much. I obviously don't know where to look which is another reason. Can you I don't know point me to some great works?

10. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I see where you#re coming from here having read that thread.

When you say 'great works' do you mean as solos or within the orchestra?

Off the top of my head, pieces written for trumpet as solos are:

Haydn trumpet concerto

Hummell trumpet concerto

Mozart trumpet concerto (Leopold, not Amadeus - his dad)

Arutunian trumpet concerto - more modern and very much a fave of mine. Lovely, almost eerie section with a cup mute in the middle.

Lots of Baroque stuff, such as Brandenburg concerto no2

Purcell

Telemann

Vivaldi

...there's lots more!

But then again, as a cornettist, originally, I would consider many cornet works to be great.

You really won't be short of music to play, and then again, as Ed says, it doesn't have to have been written for trumpet to play it on a trumpet.

I am sure the others can add a lot more to your list of things to check out.

If you like the trumpet (or any of its derivatives - flugel, cornet) just go with the trumpet! You'll like it! The trumpet says, 'I'm here and I'm loud!' What other instrument can say that?