What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    It may sound like I'm gushing but darn my eye you guys are helpful. I wish I could say I'm playing the trumpet for sure but I'm so unpredictable I might end up with a banjo in my hands...

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    SOLOs may be interpreted in two ways: 1. Only one instrument alone, or 2. With accompaniment, yet the solo part carries most of the melody and the accompaniment carries the harmony.

3. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    How about a mandolin? Then you could do Bluegrass.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    All music carries the potential for communicating what the human spirit contains. I like listening to all types, albeit I can stand Beethoven symphonies longer than I can Hip-Hop. I prefer playing classical music.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK, I'm just going to be blunt. Many of the comments about jazz tell me that those comments show only a superficial understanding of that art form. Jazz requires a tremendous ear, intuition, instinct, deep sense of the art's history, ability to hear many voices at the same time as you participate, an innate sense of time flexibility, a melodic, rhythmic and harmonic agility that must occur instantaneous with your playing, and many other elements of very sophisticated musical attributes. Not as demanding as classical? Give me a break.

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Excellent post!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Nice one kehaulani. To be totally frank I am getting both confused and a little tired with beginer simply because I cannot figure out what he wants. From some of his posts I think he wants to be a sort of one man band, with a drum on his back, bells on his knees and a harmonica on an iron round his kneck. Sorry to be unkind beginer but it is sounding as though you want us to decide what instrument you should play, then what repetoire you play. (I'm dreading you starting to look for an instrument with all the different opinions we have) The following would be my suggestion.

1 Get over yourself and decide what instrument you are going to play
    2 Learn the basics of the instrument (with a private teacher)
    3 Play everything Jazz, Classical and all colours in between
    4 Decide what YOU like and what YOU are best at and go for that
    5 Practice at it, hard.

Also

Listen to all genre of music for your given instrument, there is no need to be pigeon holed.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    For me, music is a mood. It can be very similarly acquainted with food. Sometimes I'd be down for some street fare po' boy and the other day I might want to dine on the finest steak in a five star restaurant.

Do both if that's what you want. Don't limit yourself.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Just playing the trumpet to a reasonable standard is reward enough for me. I play Big band on Thursday night and Symphony Orchestra on saturday morning.

I listen to all genres of music, as all my teachers have been classic trained, improvisation has not been developed.

Regards, Stuart.

10. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Yeah. And I'm starting to feel it's a wind-up!

What's next? "Should I play jazz accordeon or the classical spoons?"