What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love to play classical music... I love the focus of just sticking to notes on the page. All my awards and documented achievements on the trumpet has been through my classical training and performance. I have had great teachers prepare me for that role, particularly Eugene Blee, principle trumpeter for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra during the years he played with that orchestra.

Haven't got a single award bestowed upon me as a jazz musician, other than cash thrown at my feet, $20 bills tucked into may pants by a drunk bride, tips in a tip bowel... But I really LOVE jazz. Why?

I agree that classical music can express emotion and communicate feeling just as much as jazz... but with classical music, I am the instrument of the conductor. S/he tells me to play loud, I play loud, S/he tells me to play softer, I play softer, S/he tells me to pick up or slow down I do as I am told, whether or not I agree with that person's inturpretation because I am a part of a great ensemble where it is understood who is the leader and who interprets where the performance should go.

But I REALLY REALLY like to express myself. Always have... always will. For that reason, I prefer jazz. Where I am the artist, not the instrument of another musician. The jazz ensemble I choose to play in is one that shares that opinion, one that lets me take a lead role than pass it on when I am done. The music is then mine (for the moment) to communicate the way I feel it and hopefully t(probably even more importantly) the way I believe the audience is feeling on a particular night that I am playing. That fine adjustment, and the freedom and ability to make that adjustment, is what makes the jazz musical performance so enjoyable for me and the art form I would chose as my priority.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. beginner

beginner New Friend

May 8, 2013
    I have so much to say but much of it is probably things only I have the answer to so... Thanks. Take it easy on a young fellow.

Kehaulani I really admire your writing haha. One more question before I leave this tangent and possibly this forum FOREVER! How the hell do you write so well? And how can I get better than... the above. I suck at English.

3. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    ...What VET said...I've struggled with this for YEARS. What has been put in front of me ... I would NEVER listen to by choice, either...unless it was a trumpet concerto and maybe Wynton is in the back my distant playlist and probably only to gauge where "I was at" in my abilities.

That is exactly why, when I discovered Rick Braun's music it changed my life. I DO listen to this...and I DO love to play it.
    Thank God for this intersection...I wouldn't be picking this instrument up, otherwise.

His music is varied. At times it can be: emotional, aggressive, passionate, beautiful, se#y. It's everything the trumpet can be.

(If anyone is unfamiliar and curious, listen to the live stuff, it's not as toned-down for the "masses.")

Of course, he's not for everyone (who is?), but his playing aligns with my taste and emotions nearly 100% of the time.

WHY am I saying this and how does it relate to the question from the OP?
    Because it's REALLY rewarding to ME to be able to play what I feel inside AND what I like to listen to. It's not "academic."

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As does classical music--in fact, these are requirements of all music. I do not, however, find jazz holding a monopoly on creativity. A good read: Metamagical Themas: Questing for the Essence of Mind and Pattern - Douglas R. Hofstadter - Google Books

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Jazz, where no one knows you missed a note.

:cool:. ROFL

Or, In Jazz Everyone Can Hear You Scream. ( with apologies to Alien ).

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    IMHO, you need to know your Classical basics quite well to then upgrade to jazz - it's rather difficult to stand if you don't have feet...

Any of the great trumpet players of today or yesterday had some kind of classical training. Best example is Wynton Marsalis. And if you thenk the trumpet repertoire is limited - it's only as limited as you allow it to be.

Many Baroque pieces of music were written without a specific instrument in mind, or were adapted to whichever instrumentalists were readily available, and were converted if circumstances changed.
    Even Richard Strauss, as a conductor, was prone to re-orchestrations and re-instrumentations.. when he wanted, for the first time in about 150 years, to perform Brandenburg 2, he was unable to find a trumpet player able to play the solo part. So he transcribed it the part for oboe and had a D oboe constructed for that concert.
    I once heard a recording of this concert - sounded perfectly all right!

8. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    What I infer from this post is the ability to play jazz is almost a natural gift. Sure parts can be learned over time but to have all of those attributes simultaneously is just freakish, and I personally know some people like that. I could never be that kind of player but I sure can appreciate those that are! I guess that's why I am drawn more to the classical side of playing because I can use my more analytical approach to playing the trumpet in that world a lot easier than jazz. But that is just me.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Oh dude, no. The banjo goes on your knee.

kingtrumpet and tobylou8 like this.
  10. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Clasical and Jazz are like opposites. Playing classical is recreatiing with great precision what the composer composed playing it exactly the way he intended it for the music to be played. It is a challenge to recreate a musical work perfectly. If you get satisfaction from playing your trumpet to bring about this recreation, then classical is for you.

Jazz is not recreation. It is creation. It is playing a tune in a way that is different than any other player has played it. It seems to be just the opposite of what classical is set out to accomplish.

The perfect recreation vs new creation is your choice. It has to do with your personality and which kind of music you would like to do.