What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    But is it? Weren't original Baroque pieces written with just the 'notes' and left to the player to interpret them, add dynamics, cadenzas etc.?

I know you 'feel' jazz to play it, but jazz is easy once you know your music (i.e. all that 'boring' practice stuff), in the same way a language is easy once you know the grammar. Unless you're a genius, creativity is easy once you've mastered the basics. Or 'easier' I should say.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I have a question.

I've heard recordings that were some person playing eighth notes, perhaps Airmen of Note, and I heard that and thought "hmm, that sounds like an etude from the Harry James Trumpet Method"... and wondered... ok, you can masturbate yourself some scales, how the living heck do you expect me to think that this is music and then I'm supposed to respect your "originality"?

Excuse me, but that's just crap. I'm sorry I offend you who play that style, but it's just crap. I have no respect for that at all.

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most likely I should stay as far away from this thread as there is distance to get, but I'll write this much about the differing of genres, if I were to be paid and the music is on paper complete in musical precision the way I'm being paid to play it, like it or not, I play it ... and that includes the use of mutes that I otherwise don't like. That said, most classical music is on such paper, but it seems to me that a lot of jazz is not, and yet I laud many of you who can improvise well impromptu.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Excuse me Tom, but where do you think many etudes (studies) come from ... thin air?

5. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My point is that the "solo" this joker was playing was not what I would consider original music, and me, an audience member, would walk out on it. Yet, some think this is just Wonderful Stuff.

No, it's crap.

Here's an example of the kind of etude I meant:

http://www.gentledarkness.com/trumpet/example.pdf

Tom

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like both jazz and classical. I see no general difference in levels of fulfillment obtained by artists involved, just enjoyment of different flavors of musical expression. Associating different levels of "rewards" with the two genres may be entertaining, but in the end it is nonsensical. What seals the deal for me is the level of artistry involved in the execution. I have heard classical music that made me wince in aural pain and scramble for the nearest exit, and then I've heard classical that sent my spirit soaring. I've heard "jazz" that seemed to me to be a mindless melody-less jumble of poorly executed notes and I've heard jazz that stirred my soul in its deepest depths.

I was a carpenter when I was young. I would arrive on a new job site and would have a foundation, assembled with an unpredictable level of precision, a pile of lumber, and a couple sheets of drawings depicting the owner's hopes and dreams in a general sense. There would be no building without the carpenter. The building would meet the owner's expectations and stand the test of time to a greater or lesser degree depending upon the carpenter's skill. I perceive parallels between music and carpentry. But then again, I have been accused of having an overactive imagination!:D

Jim

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, what's that smell???

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have a question... so what style would you like to have played for you?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom, he is playing modal scale patterns... kind of the scales you work through when you play through your Arbans. Call it... applied theory.

Oh, and the next time you play through your Arbans, wear a condom so you don't leave a mess.