What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Guys you caught me at a bad time where the arthritis is acting up. I honestly have no respect for that sort of playing, and never will. I could have worded it better, though.

Tom

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks Tom:thumbsup:

You da' Man... AND I do respect where you are coming from! [No condom pun intended:oops:]

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can agree with Tom to a large degree. It isn't only trumpet players who are guilty....

Word is, Ike Willis was warming up before a show, playing a typical rock guitar solo, and just before the climax, Frank Zappa said "Splooey!" in Ike's ear. A lot of rock guitar solos and jazz trumpet solos are that way. I'm also not a big fan of strings of ii V I's or hearing David Baker licks, either. There just aren't that many truly original trumpet players out there. I'm not saying they are extinct, just rare....

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow, learned a new musical term! Is that Italian,German, or French?? :roll:

5. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's Zappanese!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    He's from Cincinnati don't ya know!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow, with all the passion in this thread, I only DARE to quote myself!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL --- but, I think the question is really answered, the most rewarding music, is that which pleases the target audience (be that Jazz, Classical, Big Band, etc.) ---utlimately, part of the enjoyment of playing (at least for me) is to have the AUDIENCE APPRECIATION factor. when the audience appreciates the music, whatever the music is ------ that is what is enjoyable!! ----- Play and be happy, everyone!!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Define a lot. Not the ones I tend to gravitate to... Kenny Durham, Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw, Miles Davis... the put a lot of thought behind their choice of notes... You don't get the feeling when listening to them that they are splicing techniques from a methods book into their work.... But I too agree with Tom, that the sample he demonstrated was more calculated, predictable, kind of like a rock solo guitarist. But I still ask you to define a lot... I think, just like in rock bands you will find a balance... I mean Steely Dan... There is a cool rock soloist...

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "A lot" being the vast majority of people who "improvise." Of course Kenny Durham, Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw and Miles Davis put a lot of thought behind every note. That is why we revere them. Most (read "a lot") do not play like Kenny Durham, Lee Morgan, Woody Shaw or Miles Davis.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Are you saying I have good taste in jazz... Aw... shucks!:wub: