What is more rewarding to play classical or jazz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by beginner, Jun 27, 2013.

1. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Personally my most rewarding experiences were performing with brass quintets. Never really totally classical, never really totally jazz. It was about the 5 of us having worried that closely together for several years, reading each others body language, knowing how we each took a breath, and where we needed to breath, the trust, that if one of did something musically different all of a sudden, we would follow and see where it goes. I can only imagine its similar with a jazz combo that's been together for years, or the brass section of a symphony orchestra.

2. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    Lee Loughnane

You win bonus points for mentioning Lee Loughnane in your post; a very under appreciated artist.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YES!

The consummate trumpeter needs it all!

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I love it all but by far my most rewarding is Christian Rock/Gospel/Jazz/Inspirational/Hymns. I've noticed too that I never sound better than when playing for the Lord.:thumbsup:

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Playing in a symphony requires the use of the re-creative side of the brain while playing Jazz requires the creative side.

Until recently, most musicians stuck to one or the other depending on their natural strengths.

Today, because of the exposure to music in college and universities, more and more players are able to bridge the gap between the two.

Wynton Marsalis and Allen Vizzutti are two examples of this.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Which is why my thoughts go to the Lord often while I am improvising jazz solos [and reading clasical refrains], but especially when playing Christian Rock/Gospel... I do believe my sound is more pure when I channel in that direction. Great observation Mastersoonwillbe

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I totally agree and for that reason, I am very upset that I wrote down the wrong service time for church this morning and for the first time in my life, I didn't show up for a gig.

The Lord is very forgiving, I hope!

8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    i know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not sure I can agree with this. "Creative" is what? Playing whatever? The jazz musician has a whole bunch of parameters to fit within--the key, the chords, the style and these all conspire to make a pretty small window to be creative in when improvising. Better not be too "creative" playing the head--folk want to hear a melody they can recognize.

The creative window in classical playing is smaller than that of jazz, but it is still there. To label jazz as creative is as wrong as labeling classical playing as recreative. Truth is, both genres are creative and recreative. It is not an either/or kind of deal.

Never was.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And never will be.

You know, you have A LOT of creative windows in symphonic orchestras. Let's in more light, the way I see it.