What is on my 3rd Valve slide??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I pulled my trumpet out of its case today and noticed something odd. There was, what I'm going to call, and extra slide in my 3rd Valve slide. I just want to know what this does. It is very odd, as I have only seen this on one other horn, my friend's Accent TR950S. I will try to post some pictures on request.

2. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    I don't know what this feature is called, but I believe I know what you are talking about - you can pull the entire slide off, or just the very end so that the slide is actually in two parts. I believe this serves two functions and if I am wrong, I'm sure someone will happily correct me. The first is to let the water out. Since water collects more slowly in the third valve slide, you don't really need a water key there so having the end removable works adequately. Also, and here is the part I'm not entirely sure about, I've been told that if you pull the end of the slide out so that it is just secure enough to not fall out, it extends the tubing in the third slide so that you should be able to play a low F natural (1-2-3). I had this feature on a Bach Strad that I had in high school, but I wasn't a good enough musician or trumpeter then to know if that is a really useful feature or not. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about it though.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That is called the dump slide. You can find them on Bach Strads as well.

4. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    It is for releasing spit.

5. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    That makes sense, as my Benge doesn't have a water key on the third valve slide.... I was wondering about that. Now I know. Thank You.

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    The trumpet part has some low F's in Carmen (the opera, not the suite). Of course extending the slide also changes the fingerings for other notes that use the 3rd valve. I think it is pretty rare to use the slide this way.

7. Yvo

Yvo New Friend

Feb 15, 2010
    Florida
    Never even noticed mine, I can't get it off heh.

8. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    It's for "additional fine tuning." That's the phrase everyone used to explain to me how it worked.