What is Red rot ? what to do about it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 6, 2016.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is what red rot actually looks like when it starts to manifest on a horn:

[​IMG]

2. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Wow. ..what can you do about that there?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To my knowledge, not much. Red rot doesn't always destroy a horn - sometimes it's not something that occurs quickly, so a horn can still be played and maintained as long as it isn't happening fast. From what I've heard, on severe cases of red rot, the metal will actually start to crumble if it gets bad enough.

Otherwise the only solution is to replace whatever it is that is getting red rot - typically leadpipes and tuning slides from what I've seen, although the red rot in that pic appears to be on the bell.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes looks like the bell, I have a Holton Cornet that must have had red rot on the bell cause it looks like the bell was replaced. It's ok I only paid $45.00 for it
    thanks Anthony

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Although not as severe, that is how the leadpipe of my Collegiate cornet looks. I polished it out (kinda) and have done nothing since with no ill effects. The bell crook on my B47 also has the smallest dot of it and still no problem or spread

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    What I have noticed in reading a few threads is that some of us have red rot to some degree but the trumpet still is working ok.So the question is how many years will some of the horns last and hey what about some of those Vintage "eye candy "horn and NOT to jinx them they still look good.

7. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Well I hope the picture shows up.

Attached Files:

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Red rot occurs from the inside. That is where the moisture is.
    Once you notice it on the outside, it is too late to prevent.
    You can't just polish it out.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Shine a flashlight up the leadpipe and tell us what you see. Is it smooth or does it look pitted corresponding to where the red rot appears on the outside. In a couple of cases I've seen it on the outside, but zero on the inside. Confusing to me, as like Brekelefuw points out, it is supposed to originate from the inside.

10. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Hi SteveRicks. It is hard to tell. It is very dirty inside. I put a q-tip inside as far as I can go and grey wet stuff is on it. I think it never got cleaned. I will be Ottawa on Thursday I will buy me the cleaning tools needed to clean the inside with the right brush. To see if that helps. The red rot is a bit further down the lead pipe so it is harder to see with the dirt. Will let you know what I find.

Sue