What is so great about Zaja blue???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, May 25, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Hey all , I know this is off topic but what is the big craze with this stuff. I recently acquired some and well.....it just seems like valve oil. I was using some Blue Juice before but the fumes were nausiating. Is it supposed to be better for your horn?? I notice Pick Music seems to send this stuff out with new horns. Just thought I would ask......

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well, you hit upon one thing! Zaja Blue doesn't have an awful odor. It is blended with TFBSâ„¢ additives to increase lubricity. Then the sales pitch:

Minimizing and eliminating the constant wear and friction and their costly effects upon an instruments ability to perform have long been our goal in the development of these products. At Zaja we designed these new lubricants to improve lubricity while having outstanding anti-wear characteristics. That's why our specially blended micronized TFBSâ„¢ additives are optimized to enable our lubricants to perform their best in even the most demanding circumstances. By lowering the surface energy needed to operate valves and slides with our special additives, the coefficient of friction is greatly reduced. All lubricants eventually evaporate or lose their lubricating abilities, but when using the new Zaja Lubricants special additives are still present to keep slide and valves working. We have even taken into account the musicians body chemistry and designed these lubricants to blend and work well no matter what the situation.

So it supposed to be long lasting, anti-wear and designed to be least affected by body chemistry. It may be a bit of a sales pitch -- but generally I think it is the best valve lube out there at the moment. It last much longer than something like Al Cass. Therefore, the protection must remain longer. I have offered to people with slow valves, and BAM, they get faster. Clean them and add Zaja and you usually fix a lot of problems. I think PC is smart to ship all horns with a bottle of Zaja.

I personally like the flavored ones. The vanilla smells great. But as good as the regular scented lubes are, the Zaja Blue is even better.

One of the TM sponsors, www.slidebone.com sells the stuff. At first the prices there seem high, but remember they include shipping. You can always add a bottle and not pay the shipping twice. I once order a $3 bottle of lube from a major online dealer with a bigger order. The rest of the order was backorder, so they shipped the lube via UPS (too hazardous I guess to go USPS) for $9 shipping. Holy Cow!

Anyway, I always recommend Zaja blue to my customers.

M&C

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought that I would really like the Zaja Vanilla, (Pricilla gave me a bottle of Zaja oil when I bought my flugel from her) but I quickly discovered that one, it bothered the other musicians around me, and two, what seemed like a good thing at first quickly got on my nerves too.

That being said, I recently acquired a bottle of the Zaja Blue Pro Oil, and I LOVE IT! I think that it's just a bit thinner than the scented Zaja oils, but it certainly does keep my valves going well. The key is to start fresh after cleaning your horn. Don't mix it with any other lubricant that is already on your valves. I was a diehard Al Cass fan for the longest time, but I have come to believe that this stuff is even better than Al Cass valve oil. Unfortunately, at the moment, it's harder to come by than Al Cass, so I am trying to ration it. I suppose if all else fails then I can either go back to Al Cass temporarily, or even go back to the Zaja Vanilla, but Zaja Blue is my oil of choice, even over Blue Juice, which is also very good.

4. Kanstul-Krazy

Kanstul-Krazy New Friend

Apr 18, 2004
    York, PA
    Doc Fox summerized most of the important functions and features of Zaja Blue!

One of the MOST IMPORTANT things about using Zaja Blue is that you MUST SHAKE THE BOTTLE WELL BEFORE USING. It is IMPORTANT to remix the additive each time you go to use it.

Next time you go to use, turn the bottle over and notice the "settle out". To my knowledge this is the only oil you have to do this with. Once you get in the habit, it will be second nature.

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The vanilla is OK, but for fun try the Swiss Chocolate. It is POWERFUL. Makes everyone hungry all during the gig. Actually, it is great valve oil, but the scent is strong! I keep a bottle in my case for that person who "always" forgets their oil and wants to borrow some (read: too cheap to buy their own or too lazy to bring it to the gig). They love it, and then they get hungry.

The Lemon would be less obnoxious and would probably smell "clean." I might order a Watermelon just to see what it is like someday. :lol:

M&C

6. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I personally think the Swiss chocolate smells like those scratch-n-sniff pencils from when I was a kid. Nonetheless, the zaja has become one of our most popular sellers and works great! We did get just get some of the Calicchio valve oil, also works REALLY well. No special scents or anything, but works fantastic. I do know it's a petroleum base, but that is about all info I have on it. I was playing a gig this past winter with guy that used Zaja blue, and the bottle got partially frozen in the cold. Kind of interesting, Does that mean it is water based?

Ceth
    www.tulsaband.com

7. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    I have been using "blue juice" and am quite satisfied but the scent idea seems interesting.

what's the scoop on the effect of these scents on the horn. seems to me that anything you add might clog up the works, especially if it tends to be corrosive.

i come from the motorcycle school of technology -- "If you don't have one, it can't break."

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    If you don't have one, it can't break. Also, if you don't have one, you cannot enjoy the benefits. If you don't have a gas tank on the motorcycle, it can't leak ... but ... you get the picture.

The scents are artificial, and I have found no drawback. Petro based oils have a pretty awful scent. Take a big breath and sometimes you want to choke. Zaja made the scents pleasant -- and in the case of Zaja Blue, nearly impossible to detect. Petro based oils also don't last as long a synthetics, so you are always oiling the valves (players will buy Al Cass by the case) thus making the oil scent a part of the horn. Zaja is both a performance improvement and a scent improvement.

BTW, Blue Juice I recommend if people cannot get Zaja Blue. Blue Juice is a great product -- but Zaja Blue has the edge IMHO.

M&C

9. King High

King High New Friend

Feb 19, 2004
    The Zaja scents ar food grade - they won't hurt you.
    These guys have done their homework and know what is corrosive to a horn. You don't see cinnamon, cherry or grape for those reasons.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was under the impression that Al Cass oil contained silicon as it's base for lubricity. Al Cass oil has no scent. If it had, I wouldn't have used it almost exclusively for nearly 15 years.

But, I'm with you on the Zaja Blue Pro Oil. It's the best stuff I've used to date.