What is the best brand of trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    NO NO NO!

Don't go PM!
    Comparing valve travel lengths is a very interesting issue! ROFL

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wait... are you mocking us?! :thumbsup:

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That nordlands - he's such a kidder, a jolly joker. ROFL

4. mellowmood_in_ventura

mellowmood_in_ventura New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    From the perspective of someone that returned(after some ten years) to trumpet, and I had considerable dental problems, thanks to an online friend of mine, I checked-out the used horns from ebay...then I found a fine deal.
    It's not a Selmer-Bundy...not a Holton...in fact, it's an 'off-brand' that a company known as K.K. Music distributes called 'Cecilio'. While it is *not* a fancy trumpet, it's *very* playable. Also, because it's lightweight, you can really obtain delicate sounds, but for me, as someone that just wanted to try it again, an inexpensive horn was ideal, and my Cecilio was a bargain.
    It plays *very* well. Nice tone AND response have proven my purchase of this horn to have been a good one. But before I bought it, I looked around to find-out just how many other respectable merchants were also carrying this brand. After all, I didn't want to buy a junker, and so I visited numerous websites such as Yahoo, Amazon and MSN Shopping, and found that they ALL feature Cecilio, and so I figured that these are companies that have a reputation to maintain, and therefore wouldn't permit junk to be knowingly sold. Also, I read the reviews of Cecilio from ebay, and from what I could gather, folks gave a high rating to this trumpet.
    Well, that was a couple of years ago, and Cecilio's still going strong.
    Hey! I've got an idea: maybe I can find one of those cute propeller-caps, and(with my trumpet)become Beanie and Cecilio!ROFL

5. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nice to see someone else remember Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent and Beany...

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nicely done mellowmood_in_ventura but isn't that what this website encourages with respect to purchasing trumpets? Do your research efficiently so that you are happy with your purchase - and exressions of opinion by the rest of us think are just that - expressions of opinion, we are not you, we are not in your circumstance, we are not making your decision. :thumbsup:

I still really like my 1973 Getzen Eterna though.

7. mellowmood_in_ventura

Dec 4, 2008
    Yes, Ted, personal preference is the entire thing...trumpets, as with any other musical instrument, are a matter of personal choice. For me, because I love those delicate sound(airiness, soft crackle and so forth), a light horn is best for me. And one that cost a mere pennies-on-the-dollar was a real bargain. My gem from K.K.Music cost only $118.00(U.S.), and with s&h a grand total of about $125.00...not bad, eh?:D Also, one thing that is sooo nice about it's case, is that the mouthpiece fit's vertically...that means it won't fall out, and damage the horn. There's simply room for the horn, mousepieth,<----yeah, me being goofy there valve oil and a pair of white gloves, to protect the horn from corrosion...I guess that folks with a Michael Jackson fixation would also find them appealing. So, the thing is to buy a horn that suits both your budget AND basic preferences. Before I close, I'll digress with a point that was presented in the latest Reader's Digest. It concerns the fact that sometimes we mindlessly purchase junk, but what happens to our 'disappointments'...uhmmm it goes into landfills and pollutes our environment. So wo, purchase things wisely, with regards to their ecological impact. Right as we speak, glaciers are melting.
    Oceans are rising, and we really need to take responsibility for the way to treat our planet. It's as George Harrison once said: "we've got the save the world, as someone else may want to use it", so let's try to leave a healthy Earth for our kid's kids. I'm now 53 y.o.(going on 51), and this one thing I have learned: that time goes by quickly. Heck, 1/3 of it is spent during sleep! I guess that I've said enough. Let's make sure that Cecil leaves the sea 'cuz he wants to, and not because he got polluted out of it!

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm happy that you like your horn which is marketed to make some unknowing people think it is a Calicchio.

re: the above quote.

We have an unbending rule here at TM to keep Religion & Politics out of the forums.

Please do not write any more political opinions in the Trumpet Discussion forum.

Chuck Willard

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  9. mellowmood_in_ventura

Dec 4, 2008
    Personally, I'm just about the very least status-conscious player that you'll ever meet. I can play equally on a Holton, or a Conn, a Benge, Ward's(or it that Sears' Cadet, or a Cecilio...for me, status is what one does with a horn that is in playable condition! Provided that there's no visible rot, and the valves don't stick, from there I will just play the thing, and I was attracted to this forum because I'd searched to info regarding a technique that I've gotten familiar with on Herb Alpert's recordings called 'half-valve'...ok, so that's what I call it. I just responded to 'kinds and makes of trumpets' because I proudly enjoy my Cecilio, and that I don't give a fig for names. I care only for one thing, and one thing alone, and that's developing my ability to play a personalized style, and that I'll do with whatever is available for me. Cecilio simply provides me with the means for self-expression that I seek, and therefore Cecilio is THE horn for me, or at least for now. But I could be happy as a bug in a rug playing a Cadet, too!:laughwave:
    I'll conclude this with a more relevant item for us, and it's the kind of thing that this forum exists for, and that's to impart information, and this one I hope will be useful for others. Sometime back, I was listening to a recording by the Bert Kaempfert Ork, and I noticed something about a certain trumpet solo that began with the opening tone. I'd noticed this before, but it didn't dawn on me just how it's done. 'Till recently, that is.
    Ordinarily, one tongues the opening tone but on that Kaempfert track, trumpeter Fred Moch gained such a pleasing sound, and I tried it for myself, and here is how he did it: just 'buzz' the note, instead of tonguing it, and you'll get this amazingly soft sound. It's almost sax-like. Try that, and maybe some stuff that I have suggested under 'special-effects'(that half-valve effect that I mentioned).

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I think Fred Moch is a BIG reason that that band had all the success that it had.

VERY pleasant to listen to.

-cw-