What is the best brand of trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 26, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Free flow in the upper register is a lie that most companies tell. Free flow can even be had with a "stiff trumpet" as it is NOT the horn, rather your approach to playing upstairs.

A lightweight trumpet will be more effective in fooling your brain into thinking that life is easier.

Slightly more resistance from a professional horn means more efficiency and that means more sound for less work.

Getting back to the issue: forget about a hardware solution to a software issue - unless you really like believing lies!

2. Jtrump13

Jtrump13 New Friend

Sep 21, 2008
    Grove City, Ohio
    I have 2 new Bach Big Apple trumpets and thay both play great. In fact I was supprised at how great they play. Don't ask why I have 2 of them. I'm just a trumpet nut.

3. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    There ain't nothing never perfect. Except maybe an accident that accidentally turns out just perfectly good. Circularly speaking, that is.
    No instrument, however artistically and wonderously crafted will give service without some small defect...even if it goes unnoticed, it's there. We make our choices based on the facts that we think we know at the time and according to the dollars we think we can afford. I have had to master the intonation oddities of what I thought was a great instrument many times. And many times a conductor has urged me for a brighter or darker or bolder (and so on) tone for a particular passage, not realizing that I had put out so much money for a horn with the "perfect tone color." I learned early that, within certain limits, the intonation and tonal coloring was the responsibility of my ability to master my instrument. I have made appearances with a borrowed cheapo horn. I wasn't comfortable with the mouthpiece, just like a racecar driver isn't comfortable with another's car. But I made it work. The valves didn't enjoy what I did to them, and I had to lip the third valve down a lot, but that's what they pay us for, right? The best horn is the one I'm loving at the time.

4. tiny2000

tiny2000 New Friend

Dec 26, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    New member here, shall I put on a flamesuit?
    I've read through this thread, hoping to get a sense of the quality/value of the cornet I use - Selmer/Bundy.
    Is there not a general consensus on this sort of thing? I get that the player does most of the work and not the instrument, but is there not a limit? Mario Andretti certainly would not win the Indy 500 in a Lada... but might race better in a Toyota, even faster in a BMW and perhaps the best in Ferrari?
    Can anyone share the most common thoughts on trumpets then?

5. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I like Yamahas. Generally considered "Jazz" horns though. I play a Yamaha 6310yz "Bobby Shew"

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Welcome!
    A Selmer/Bundy cornet isn't a rare or collectable horn, but it is a fairly sturdy student horn. They're great for any beginner, and as long as it's in decent shape, it shouldn't give you any issues.

Good Luck

7. thebugleboy

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    If it feels good, play it PROUDLY. Just enjoy what you have and what you're doing with it. If the horn becomes like an extension of yourself, it is a masterpiece instrument.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Life's funny innit? You start trumpeting with a student horn - and can't wait to get onto a "decent" piece of hardware. You work and work, and practice and practice, and buy your "better trumpet" and it sounds fabulous. Then you work and work, and pactice and practice, buy a "better trumpet" and it sounds wonderful. Then one day, you pick up your old student horn and knock out a few notes - and it sounds amazing, Life's funny innit?

9. thebugleboy

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    We should always go back to our first love.

10. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I am sorry, but while the player has most to do with it, simple physics, some horns simply are not built or designed as well and some perform in a less efficient and less friendly way than others. That is a fact.

Ask any great player, in particular top commercial lead trumpet players, while they will be able to play some amazing things on most any trumpet, the one they use all the time to do that kind of work does make a difference to them. Mouthpiece, horn combination, playing style, personal mechanics, and taste, and yes, the horn itself all combine to make a difference.

Bottom line and most importantly, while I will agree you need to make sure you are playing your very best as that is the most determinant thing you should also try several horns, horn mouthpiece combinations, find the right one for you at some point in your development. There are quality horns that do respond better than others, that's a fact.