What is the best brand of trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 26, 2008.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Why do people have several guns?

Why do people have collections?

Why do people have more than one car?

Why do people have coin and/or stamp collections.

Why do people collect antiques?

Is there anything you collect?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Why not?

3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer i know but how many trumpets can you play. I mean when i get another trumpet i will only be playing my new one.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman, Hitman, Hitman - one can NEVER have too many trumpets - "Charity it is!" (Yoder). How many can you play? One at a time, of course. ROFL

5. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Several trumpet players have multiple horns and each will fit into a different situation, Especially when you are playing for a job or in a serious group you will need to be able to fit into many styles including, but not limited to jazz, classical, rock, church music, etc.

Also that hunting horn is a cool thing. sounds like a french horn but is played like a trumpet.

I personally, have a own a Bach Strad (mostly because I was allowed to keep it for free *lucky lucky*) but for me a Yamaha or even Jupiter play just as well for jazz or marching band. I keep with the Strad rather than selling it because it's more versatile for me and can do many things. However, I can't gliss on a trumpet, that's why I also have a soprano trombone for jazz.

Really? You need to see this then.
    YouTube - Solo Trumpet Duet

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well they all sound the same dont they

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It all comes back to your earlier question - "What is the best trumpet?" There are 'horses for courses'. It's like automotive horns - you don't use a Volkswagen Type 1 (Beetle) horn on a Road Train - so the instrument must fit the need - this is why it is so difficult to say what the best horn is for you. Different gigs need different sounds and so need different trumpets, 'cause they all sound slightly different (sometimes a lot different) to one another. Some of us just like to 'collect' too. I have 4 very different trumpets, for example. Yeah, yeah, I know - I'm only a beginner compared to some of the rest of you - but my #1 1st Best Wife thinks she has a say with the finances too - bloody unreasonable. (Sorry, commonplace Aussie slang, I remember that this expression is a bit more brutal when used in the US).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    1: But from what i have read Bach are good trumpets.
    2: There are always better in the world
    3: wow why do you have so many horns?
    4: I mean when i get another trumpet i will only be playing my new one.
    5: well they all sound the same dont they

1: Absolutely correct. Bach is often mentioned as the benchmark for trumpets
    2: Sure. But this will often depend on your own standards
    3: This is a question that wives often asks! Mostly without the "WOW" part.
    The correct answer will always be: "Because I need them!"
    The counter question is: "What are you going to wear at the party tonight dear?"
    4: This sentence has to be printed and put in a frame and should hang on your wall.
    In ten years or so, if you still play the trumpet, you could have a look
    at it when you are polishing all your different trumpets....and smile....
    5: In theory yes. But the trumpet itself is not making any sounds.
    The person behind the horn makes the sound. The horn is just telling your story.

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    ah nice. So when you go to buy a trumpet does it say "this trumpet for jazz" and "this one for blue" ?

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    No.

One more time: “The person behind the horn makes the sound. The horn is just telling your story.â€

When I start thinking of buying a trumpet, I always think about where and for what I am going to use it.
    If possible, I ask my local trumpet pusher to borrow me the actual trumpet(s) to test play for a week end or so.
    Then I have the chance to play it on different locations with different acoustics.
    The idea is that the trumpet should suit me and my kind of playing.
    My 8310Z is developed in collaboration with the superb jazz artist Bobby Shew and will probably be called a “jazz trumpetâ€.
    I am not using it much for jazz, but it became my choice because I felt it responded well to my personal style/kind of playing.
    Putting such labels on the horns could be a guidance, but probably not the answer.