What is the best brand of trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 26, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yep! Yep! Yep! Wives can be a bit sneaky sometimes eh Bandman? ROFL

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Sneaky or not... sounds like a good deal to me! So when are you flying over to pick one out? ;)

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    If I was a student just getting started and I could afford it liek Mom and Dad makeing the payments the Getzzen's are nice and they are durable. The 490 is an excellent student horn the 700 Externa can be had for $900 from a large Canadian music shop and that would easily take a person from 5th grade all the way through H.S. with one trumpet.

I like vintage American trumpet's from Ebay......I got my son a Holton 602 made in America for $50 and it plays great the kid loves it. I have my Reynolds Medalist from 1968 that I picked up for $100 it is like new in every way and dent free. THe finish is 99% all it neds is a new leadpipe. It has some red rot starting on the very bottom of the leadpipe. I checked and Music123 I thnk it was or one of the other large music stores online want's $1025 for a Holton 602. My F.A. Reynolds from 1968 easily play's and sounds as good as what today would be called an Intermediate trumpet.

I recently picked up a Getzen that needs a bell. I paid under $40 for it. I have found sources for new bells rangeing from $90 up to $350. The valves on that Getzen are like new and it is a 20+year old Getzen so it has a lot of nickle on it. The slides are all in dent free shape , the valves are good etc....... I can afford to trick that one out since I have so little into. If I have a high end bells put on, ovate tuning slide, reverse lead pipe and refinish it in silver I will be under $600 and will have a darn nice trumpet. Same thing on my Medalist $75 to have the lead pipe replaced and $200 to have it refinished in silver and I will have a very very nice trumpet for a grand total of $400. It does not need refinishing but my son likes silver trumpet's.

If I do the work myself I can get the prices down even lower.Bells wise I have a choice between copper,silver,yellow brass and bronze. So I can really shape the sound of any trumpet I want. On that same note you can get a trumpet off ebay that is like new in every way from the 1920's-1970's usually for around $150 or less. For $200 you can get almost anything you want from a Sterling Silver Tonk to a Yamaha 4335 in Silver etc....... Ebay rocks but you have to now a few things about trumpet's and what to look for and ask questions and look closely at photo's etc.....

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG] ?

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    R O F L M A O ROFL :thumbsup:

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA

Shoot, after reading lovevixen555’s post I think I’ll save the price of a couple plane tickets and also save all my hard earned money that I would have spent on an Eclipse and buy me a $100 Reynolds off of Ebay!!! Just think of the envy in the eyes of the guy beside me when I show up at my next gig!!! :shock: :shhh: :huh: :-?

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Bandman, I did not say that he should get an Olds Ambasdor off Ebay while those are nice and all over Ebay in varing conditions do not miss represent what I said. What I said is that their are people like DQ's Custom shop that build custom trumpet's off of Old's AMbsador Valve Case's. They use their own Elctrostaticly formed Copper Bell and they use their own reverese leadpip and ovate slide and a few other things. That is a far cry from just buying an Old's Ambasador from Ebay. Now what I did say was that older vintage pro trumpet's like the King Liberty models for instance can be had for under $200 on Ebay and even if you had it completly restored it would be a steal compared to buying a new custom horn. The Getzen Super Delux Tone Balanced also a pro horn also below $200 off ebay. How about a Martin Commetie or Imperial those can often be had for less then $300 off Ebay in various conditions.

The one good thing about your post is that made a complete foll of yourself by mis-quoteing me. Any one with half a brain can read my post then read yours and see I am being forth right and honest.

I guess you think that a pro horn has to be brand new and made by a Eclipse,Taylor,Kunstal,Bach etc........I guess vintage horns made before the idiotic market scheme of "student,intermediate,pro" do not count as professional. Are you a price snob by chance or a name recognition snob? I am hear to tell you that you can wear the most expensive clothes and play the most expensive instrument but at the end of the day none of that matter's if the guy that out plays you is wearing jeans, a times watch and playing on a vintage King Flair that he got off Ebay for $300 "not to be confused with the modern King Flair as it is not the same".

Now about the plane ticket. I crossed the Atlantic over 34 time and the pacific 3 times in the first 18 year's of my life and I still can not get a cup of coffee for free? What does haveing more money then sense and flying to the UK to buy your trumpet have to do with this discusion? It surely did not add anything of value.

Oh and I have to ask you what does the the donor valve case have to do with anything? Many premium trumpets includeing hand built models do not use their own valve case but someone else's. If I put a "Zigmant Kanstul" bell and a leadpipe that was custom made by a friend in Europe that makes leadpipes for Bach Strad's on a Getzen valve case what do I have? It sure is not a Getzen 300 now is it and it is not a Kunstal and it is not a Bach..... Oh I know it is a semi custom trumpet or in my book a fuly custom trumpet that was hand assembled......Almost all of the big player's in the custome low volume trumpet market got started by modifying customer's trumpets. Then they started takeing old trumpets they where buying cheap that had good valve case's and valves and building their own models on a very limited basis. then most of them stoped takeing customer's order's inorder to concentrate on manufactureing their own line of custome hand crafted trumpet's and most of them still outsource their valve case some give you a choice some do not.

Now back to the Olds Ambasador thing......If you do not think that their are some seriously good trumpet players playing non-professional models you are just ignorant or stupid. Maybe your social circle does not include a lot of stops in the depth south to visit blues and jazz clubs. In Vodoo country you will see everything from an Vintage Sterling Chicago Tonk to a 1960's Holton Super Colligate and everything in between. You will even see some trumpets that look like Mr.Ed did some home repairs to them ugly a sin that play just fine.

I do not own an Olds Ambasdor but I know a lot of places have used them as the basis for a lot of custom trumpets and cornet's. The Menendez , Specials and Recording Studio Old's are highly sought after as professional trumpets. So before you laugh at someone you should do your home work. I would bet that the owner of Eclipse started out modifying customer trumpets at some point. Eclipse did not just drop out of the sky one day and start turning out high end hand built custom trumpets with all of their parts done in house!

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Norlandstrumpet, My Dad came over tonight to show me his newest find. He found and LP of "The best of Loius Armstrong" he was on his way home to toss it on the old Teac record player!

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Someone has felt off the train here,
    so here is a reminder of the thread name:

What is the best brand of trumpets?

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

[​IMG]

:shock:

10. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Poor kid has had the p1ss took out of him by posting a reasonable question from I'm guessing, a naive beginner. The thread then turns into a clash of egos and differing opinions. If Hitman has managed to glean any helpful advice from some of the sarcastic replies then good luck to him. Some encouragement may have been helpful.
    Hitman, practice on what yv got. When you progress to the level where you feel you need a better instrument you should ask your tutor for help. Chances are he/she will point you towards a Bach as they are the benchmark and cover most bases, but there are other trumpets that may suit you better. I tried a bach, but prefer my Selmer. My preference. Do not limit your options, try as many as possible. What suits you may not necessarily suit me, chuck,bob or anybody else for that matter.