What is the best brand of trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 26, 2008.

1. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    Well, this thread has really answered the question to the point.

I had found a trumpet about 3 years ago at a thrift store and I picked it up and made a sound, I decided to try to re learn the trumpet.

I searched the web, listened to sample music, and even got a few CD's. Chris Botti for example...

anyway, in all my searching I found a sound clip of someone playing
    "Fill My cup Lord" on the Cornet.

THAT IS THE SOUND I LIKE!

I want to play that way. That is the sound I want to play. So from there My search took me to the internet again and again.

The british brass Sound is what it is. Smith Watkins has some really good Cornets that fit the bill. but for me at $2700 I needed to go down to Intermediate priced instrument ( if there is such a level).

So, One must ask the same question. What is it that you want from the instrument? then go from there. Instruments are unique in every way and the sound is also unique...

got a song you heard that has you awe struck? Do you hear a certian sound that attracts you to the trumpet? find this and then work from there to find the perfect instrument needed to create THAT sound.

Then the Cornet I have ordered the other day, is what I call the best for my need...now the mouthpiece is even more tuned to the SOUND I want. I'll need to order THAT Mouthpiece to ensure the SOUND is preserved. Technically that is...I'll need to practice that SOUND, woek at it till It sounds like the sound I want.

That's my two cents worth
    John Mak

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, I'm interested in why you dislike the valve action - MY only criticism would be the length of travel, but I am really interested in YOUR thoughts. I have a couple of Getzens, and while lots of posts suggest that Getzen valves are "the best", both of my trumpets have a different valve feel, one I like a lot (900 Eterna) and the other (700SP) is just lots better than my Boosey and Hawkes Regent MkII student horn.

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i don't know how to describe it... almost as though i had to exaggerate my fingerings. they felt tighter and i had to make a concious effort to move the valves where with my other horns it just feels natural. the travel was a bit longer than what i'm used to so i overcompensated, when it hit bottom it was a hard strike (the rubber strike pads were in fair condition though). i also had to hit the valve spot on to get as little resistance out of it as possible, but he's a flat fingerer where i use the tips.

comparatively the kanstul's movements are very fluidic with very little resistance, but extremely responsive when you let go. the valve action of the kanstul is also very quiet.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    OK, I find that I need to keep the valve caps and 'gland nuts' at the top cinched up, and the lyre screw tends to loosen off and rattle when I play. The action is nice and smooth and I haven't had a problem with valve noise per se.

To obviate the problem you have expressed where you need to hit the spot perfectly doesn't seem to worry me because I tilt the trumpet to the right so that my left hand is not cranked backwards and so my fingers hit the valves flat. There is a photo of me somewhere on the site that probably shows that tendency. (Check in "Re: Pictures of yourself while on gig" - you'll see me with my neice and a friend, I'm the one in the shirt).

I might see if I can find a Kanstul and re-evaluate my perfect trumpet - as I do have some trouble with fast chromatic runs - my fingers get in the way, but I just thought it was tradesman's hands and short fingers - I am not into blaming the tools. Do you think that the manufacturer's sites show valve stroke dimensions?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    Actually the angle wasn't the problem, i too play the horn at a bout a 45 degree angle to the right... i guess it's a "tips" thing, lol. i do tend to get a couple odd looks when ppl realize i practically play my trumpet sideways. i'll look at your pictures though.

it's a shame you don't live around the corner, i'd gladly let you play my kanstul. the kanstul is very good with quick fingerings, most of my repertoire is quick upper register marches. it's actually a bit more difficult to hit the fingerings in question with my '56 olds, which is obviously a helluva lot more broken in.

i don't know if kanstul's website has information on the stroke, it's hard to find info on the ksb100 that i own. with my line of work i do have precision measuring equipment at my disposal that i could use to figure out the valve stroke on my bugle... but i don't know if zig uses the same valve body on his Bb horns vs his G. if you want me to figure it out, let me know and i'll bring a micrometer home this weekend.

fyi: just checked kanstul's site and he doesn't have valve stroke on there.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, the bottom end of a vernier caliper would do the trick - valve button travel will tell the whole story - I'll stick a "depth gauge" on my Getzen tonight when I get home from money making.

7. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    ah a man who knows his instruments. i'll bring one home and measure both my kanstul and the getzen currently in my posession.

8. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I bought Jerome Callet's new trumpet, the SIMA, about a month ago. For me it really is the very best trumpet I have ever had. I use it in my Sextet and it has every thing I want - great intonation, projection, solid core and other things Mr. Callet discusses in his web site: www.callettrumpets.com

You can see a picture of my Sextet with me playing the SIMA at MASTER SUPERCHOPS

carltonsstudent

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, just for interest, the Getzen 900 valve travels 0.665", as does the B&H Regent, while the Weril Pocket Trumpet valves move 0.640". So, what does that mean in real terms - about the thickness of a hacksaw blade difference in my lot. (Thinks) Ed, we p'raps should be doing this as a PM so that the rest of the TMers don't have there socks (sox) bored off.

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    hmmm, interesting. i'll have information for you tomorrow night, that's when i'll see my bugle again (spending the night over my parents).

but ted, if we hold this convo in pm our post count won't go up... maybe a new thread? ROFL