What is the Best Trumpet for Jazz?

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by rbdeli, Jun 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. Just curious if there is a real difference between a classical trumpet and a so-called 'jazz' trumpet.

Is there a such thing as a Best Trumpet that is more suited for different types of music? Curious to get your opinions on this.

For years I've been told that my Bach Strad is geared more for symphonic playing. Any truth to this?

I played the same things on my Benge C.G model as I do on my Bach Strad. If anything, I felt the Benge had a little brighter sound - the Bach a little darker. Is this consistent with other's experience?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no best anything in this world. The trumpet world is full of idiots that have to declare nonsense to distract from what is coming out of the bell.

If one plays lead, they buy equipment that matches their face and gig. The symphonic player does the same. The accent is on the FACE. Any brand one can mention will be found everywhere - except for a Martin Committee in a symphony orchestra.

I have a collection of trumpets to give me a bigger palette of sounds to work with. Jazz or symphonic are not types of "sounds" in my book. As far as I am concerned they only concern themselves with a particular type of GROOVE.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In summary, it all boils down to what comes out the bell. Style is software, not hardware.

5. RockmeAmadeus

RockmeAmadeus New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    +1

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Our german and austrian friends calls the piston trumpets "jazz trompete" as opposed to rotaries which are called "konzert trompete"...but even this is not absolutely true...you can see Thomas Gansch playing his rotary ganschhorn in Gansch&Roses and Claudio Roditti using a "normal" rotary trumpet. But starting with a piston trumpet for jazz make sense to me. What brand? What specs? Whatever works, as Rowuk likes to say.

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    No...Wayne's horns were modeled after a Bach 72* which at one time was THE lead horn.
    Andrew

8. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I'm not sure what's meant by a "Jazz" horn. You can play "jazz" on any horn. Its the ideas you put through it that makes it jazz. If you're talking about a "lead" or "commercial" sound, there are plenty of other posts in here to drive you nuts for several months. Nobody's going to agree on anything other than, "yeah, that's a nice horn, but MINE is..."
    If you're looking for a new horn, you've got to try as many out as you can find and then settle on the one that works best for you.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Mine!!! and you can't have it.

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    The stock answer to your question (which nobody has proffered up till now) is the Martin Committtee and the Olds recording model