what is the best way to go about buying a new or old trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Tc, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Trumpet Tc

Trumpet Tc Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I've had my king trumpet for the past 7 years.. 3 of which I haven't played and this current one of which is my come back year which is also my my senior year in highschool. I am currently a month and a half back into playing again. I have managed to make it into my schools band, and also the advanced jazz band. The highest note I can reach is the first C above the staff ( would this be considered a high c? ). I have primarily used the king 601 trumpet. but sometimes I use a trumpet that the brass band director lets me use. I believe it's a besson with a .472 bore. ( he's had it for 30 + years. ). I primarily use a 3c mouthpiece but for the past week iv'e been playing on a warburton ny series 80 mouthpiece with a 4s, 4m, and a 4d(Just a little experimenting with one of the brass band directors mouthpieces ) . With the besson I usually spend time playing on it after school for an hour or so with a 3c mouthpiece.

ANYWAYS
    Back on topic

what kind of horn should I be looking for to buy?

How should I go about buying one?

Should I look online?

Should I look only in stores?

Should I look at both online and stores?

Should I look into large bored trumpets?

If you have any questions I will try to reply asap.

Thanks!
    - Tc

2. RangerFanInRI

RangerFanInRI New Friend

Sep 7, 2013
    Warwick, RI
    I definitely wouldn't recommend buying an instrument that you don't have the option of playing and testing out first before you buy it, so unless there's some sort of return policy on whatever website you might look at, don't buy one off of the Internet...you don't want to sink a ton of money into a horn you don't even like.

3. Trumpet Tc

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Okay, I can Understand that. Thanks for the reply

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I'm wondering why high notes would be your first example of your playing situation?

5. Trumpet Tc

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Because I honestly don't know what examples to use.
    Again, this is my first year in band since 8th grade.
    So I don't really know how to describe my playing situation well.
    Im sorry.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, the first C above the Stave is called High C. Good useful range you have already.
    How far into Arbans are you? Are you managing the technical aspects OK - single, double and triple tongueing. Scales, etc all OK.

What is wrong with the King ? If it is doing what you want - keep playing it and save money for more lessons.

Do you want a shiny new horn or just an upgrade?

My advice would be to take the mouthpiece you regularly use, and like, and go to as many stores as possible to try as many horns as possible. It costs nothing to try them all out; When you find something you think you like, have a teacher or someone that plays trumpet come along, they can give you feed-back on your sound from the front of the horn.

You need to advise us if you have a Budget - how much do you (or your folks) want to spend.
    Don't get hung up about the bore size - it does not matter as much as finding a horn you like - then check the bore size.

Good luck

7. Trumpet Tc

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I am currently learning my scales. Im working on double tonguing.

The king is coloring my hands. It does the job well but I have to hold it with a cloth.

I don't want a new horn I want an upgrade.

as of budget $800 - $1200

Thanks.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That's a lot of Budget - it opens up some great opportunities for an upgrade.
    I can understand why the raw brass can be off-putting. But it can be refurbished at a small cost.

Some of The Obvious desirable horns in your Price range
    Yamaha 6335s
    Bach Strads (you must try)
    Olds Super
    Also a new Jaeger Diamond is just at the top of your price range and a really nice horn, maybe a second hand one can be bought cheaper. Speak with Ivan Hunter (trumpetplus) here on the site. He may be able to help you depending on where you live.

But I would still take my time visiting stores to play as many as you can. And keep practicing those scales..

9. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    You could get a REAL King in that price range! ;-)

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Don't get Mouthpieceitis. Be careful that you don't confuse your chops which, in turn, might give you a false impression of the trumpets you are playing/trying.

If you know that your present trumpet is problematic and you are looking for another one, (notice I don't write "new one"), and if the Besson is working really well for you, you might check to see if that's a French Besson or an English Besson. If it's a French Besson, I believe that Kanstul's original trumpet was based on that horn and they still make it.

Ask other forum members which model. I believe it's the 1000, but it escapes me at the moment. Then you might keep your eyes open for eBay, or maybe wwbw.com will come up with a slightly used one that will fit your budget.