what is the best way to go about buying a new or old trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Tc, Sep 21, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not do a short video of your playing and posting it here (via photobucket or similar)? Then you could get much better advice. As well, we would like to now rather more specifics about the styles you play - yes, I know, school band and Jazz band - but do you do any Classical work as well? Try providing these answers, and you will get a much better feedback. At the moment, recommending a hooter for you is rather like looking for a black cat in a dark room... with lots of furniture tumbled around as well. Ouch.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, Kanstul makes it- the 1000. Which seems confusing to me in that I thought the smallest bore Chicago Benge they made was also called the 1000 at some point inthe past. Think it was CH1000.

3. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Listen to Peter McNeill on this one. His is good, level headed advice. A poll on TM several months ago found that hands down, the mouthpiece has the greatest influence on sound, not the only item (the horn was the second) so don't be afraid of trying different horns. If you don't do that you will always wonder what you missed. And it does sound like there would be no harm in having another horn. I second Peter's list of horns to try. Yes you certainly can find a Yamaha 6345. (I personally like the 6345 large bore for Yamahas) or a Bach Strad. I have both as well as a 1950's King Silver Sonic which I play for fun sometimes. I always go back to the Yamaha, hands down. For the Yammies I will tell you that in my opinion the large bore horns do play a touch differently (more centered tones, easier to push, a touch free-er feel). I've played both (lg and med lg) side by side and I can tell the difference. If you have the money buy another horn, it is probably time if you plan to play in college. Whatever you do, don't sell the King (except to me). Thirty years from now you will wish you had it back.

Good luck and listen to the experts on this web site, myself excluded, they are truly the best.

4. Trumpet Tc

Trumpet Tc Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I can take a video but how would I fix the sound? the notes will sound different then what they really are.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your statement is very true ... right down to the latest technology ... its the difference between LIVE MUSIC and Memo*** (you know who they are). You wouldn't play a trumpet if you didn't prefer LIVE MUSIC.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Our brains are really adept at filling in the blanks. We can tell if a trumpet is playing loudly or not on the radio no matter what volume the radio is set at. Back in the day, many cassette recorders would automatically set the input levels, meaning that every attack would be "ruined," but it was like that for everyone, and that was factored in when listening. What will come across in any case are things like pitch, rhythm, phrasing and such. What won't come across is how the instrument feels and responds to you while playing. That call is up to the player.

7. Trumpet Tc

Trumpet Tc Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Okay, I'll get a video up asap.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Too many questions, young Tc. Answers to all depend on answer to the first one... What kind of horn... then that question depends on what is your goal, what kind of music do you want to play with that horn.

To shot gun horns, which is how in read your series of loaded questions (like the magazine of an assult rifle)... Get ye to a trumpet hang and blow away!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True enough! When I want to play dirty... I reach for my Martin Committee (that I got on Ebay). When I want to play clean, and slot with accuracy... I will reach for my Harrelson (that I got through a traveling representive that works with Jason Harrelson).