What is the concept behind "good embouchure days" and "bad embouchure days"?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sorahauk, Feb 3, 2012.

1. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    I hear from several people that your embouchure changes every day and that some days it is stronger and some days it is weaker. I noticed that this is true, but why and how does this happen?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Ummm, I wouldnt say embouchure but I would say chops. Your lips are tired out for whatever reason and you have an off day. Your embouchure is a totally different thing. You have had those days where you can hit any note that you put your mind too, and the next you cant? That is an on and off day.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I bust my chops everyday...yes I need professional help but I'm not paying for it. The most common way to improve tone and playing is to look yourself in the mirror and say "use your air not your muscle chowderhead, work smarter not harder" works everytime...

Sometimes it's hard to breathe :)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sleep, hydration, stress, sun, cold, humidity, amount of salt eaten, medical issues, amount of practice time, amount of gigging.

Take your choice and answer for yourself. I don't have "bad" embouchure days. I have days when my playing might not be effortless. That is based on my brain or sickness - nothing else.

Any decent player knows what is good for them and stays in the comfort zone.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes. when we have a bad trumpet day we are actually just having a bad day. Our trumpet playing is a barometer of our overall state.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I used to have good and bad days all the time. Turned out I didn't have a consistent set of my lips, and also would have periods of bad swelling due to that.

Once things began to coordinate better, and I began to notice how everything feels for me when working properly, I experienced much less of this. Now, it's more along the lines of what Rowuk is discussing. I guess I now have "good days" and "really good days"; it all comes down to my mental focus and stress levels, whether I'm tense/anxious or relaxed.

Even the other night, had a lot of lead playing (hour of jazz, three hours of pep band) in a row, and played some pretty high stuff. Before, that would've done a number on my chops, and today they would've been swollen and unable to play. Now, they're only slightly swollen, and I was able to play well today, regardless.

To summarize, I feel that, at least for me, obtaining a consistent embouchure set and having a clear, focused mindset are imperative for everything to work properly. I hope you'll excuse my lengthy response and perhaps focus in on that, at the least.

Addition:

I think perhaps we got off of the topic somewhat. Some days your muscles may be worn from intense playing days, and so will not be as "fresh". Working repetitions to improve endurance and recovery would help with that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    We are human not machines. We are not the same every day. But with consistant intelligent daily practice we can become very consistant in our playing regardless of how we feel that day.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    At this point in my playing(I'm in my early 60's) I really don't have good and bad days. What I do have are easy and not so easy days. The only person who can tell which one I'm having is me. For many inexperienced players having a good and/or bad day,it may actually just be the difference between doing everything right one day and everything the old way the next.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Nicely put. That is indeed the way it feels often times...