What is the most memorable piece/song that you've played ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It's kind of like golf. You know...that one shot that you nailed and keeps you playing. Do you have a " best shot " over the years in terms of playing the trumpet that you will always remember and keeps you coming back ?

I'll start. I played " La Virgin De La Macarena " in 1995 at a benefit for Habitat for Humanity fund raiser. There were about 20 performances from vocals to instrumentals over a 3 hour span. Maybe 600 to 700 in the audience. I was the last to play. I was nervous. I had rehearsed the piece off and on for 14 years. Yes 14 years before I would even play it in public. I was excited and totally exhausted when I finished it. ( It ends with an powerful E above staff ) I couldn't have asked for a better public performance from my trusty Schilke B6 trumpet and my Schilke 13a4a mp.

2 or 3 weeks ago I played Schubert's Ave Maria for a night of " Peace at The Peak " at Apex United Methodist Church's 2nd annual Christmas Music event. I love that piece and felt great that it went as well as it possibly could have with my trusty Martin Committee trumpet and Bach 7C mp.

Tell me your most memorable experience. Happy New Year to all of TM !

2. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    "Oh Holy Night" a few Christmas Eves ago.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Carnival of Venice... on tour with my High School Band on our way to perform in the Graz Music Festival. While our band took top honors at Graz, the Carnival of Venice on a "warm up" concert just prior to Graz was most memorable, not because I played it well, but because I played it in St. Mark's Square, Venice. I remember the crowd singing with me every time the lines of the main theme came through. It was so uplifting and inspiring.

Bet you guys thought I was going to mention a jazz piece? Ahh, but prior to my jazz experience, I was quite an accomplished classical player. Thank you Eugene Blee, who prepared me for each and every one of my classical performances. He inspired me to study long and hard and it has paid off many times over. His most memorable quote was "Prepare these pieces for next week... It'll keep you off the streets".

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Australian composer Barry McKimm wrote a suite for our Music Camp 20 years ago, one piece was for one of every type of instrument in camp, a setting to the poem "Along a River" by John Shaw Neilson, it was played with the poem being read, the most moving piece I have ever played, I was the French horn player, I will never forget that experience.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Trumpet voluntaire at a talent show in High School....totally nailed every note..... Only performance of the night to get a standing ovation..... I was shocked....

6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    6th grade band...vacaville California music festival..We beat out private school kids in competition with cheap instruments and a very good teacher. We played a song called "hungarian folkround" It was a difficult composition. Part of the arrangement required the entire band to stop playing entirely and clap with the percussion. After the claps we all had to shout "hey" and then resume playing a jaunty little number. It was almost like a klezmer type song.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Carmina Burana in Paris. The only bad part was that the good-looking women in the choir spoke only French. Dang.

8. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I would have to say so far, playing Verdi's "El Forza del Destino" overture with my youth orchestra group. the first 3 notes just make me proud to be a brass player. awesome peice, and some good trumpet stuff.

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Mine was during a church service at the end of this past year (2011). The song is an orchestrated arrangement of a song called Worthy Is the Lamb. I play the trumpet part on flugel and everything went right. The mood, the other instrumentalists played great, and the emotion poured into the song was incredible.

Another one would be a particular performance at the 411 club in Kalamazoo with the Out of Favor Boys. It was during the Thursday night blues jam. We were jamming to the song Chameleon. I decided to trade 8's & 4's with the tenor sax player and things got pretty interesting! That night was one of the best nights I've had on trumpet, and it was easily the best night I've ever had in the upper register (which I don't usually frequent).

Great thread,
    Kujo

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas