What is the one horn you wish you could have back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    My Couesnon flugelhorn. Bought it used in 1978 for $150 and pawned it 10 years later during very lean times. Food just seemed a little more important for the family and I wasn't playing at the time. I went to make a loan payment a week or so later when I came into some cash and I was a day late. All I could do was look at it hanging on the wall. I would have to pay their full asking price now, which was substantially more than they gave me as a loan on it. Three days later it was gone. I still miss it....

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I only ever had two horns prior to 3 months ago - my original 1953 Olds Ambassador cornet and my 1960 Selmer Invicta trumpet. Luckily, I still have them both. And, 23 horns later (Yes - I have the dreaded 'n+1' virus) I am still not sure that I have found any better than those original two.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I wish I could have back that Elkhart Conn 48H Connstellation trombone that was stolen off a Greyhound bus while I was enroute from Santa Fe to Walla Walla in 1983. What a sweet little horn. I lost a Ratzenberger Urbie Green deep Jet-Tone at the same time.

Who knows? If I hadn't lost that Conn, I wouldn't have had the money from the insurance settlement burning a hole in my pocket. I wouldn't have ordered that silver-plated Holton Superbone from Giardinelli. I wouldn't have heard the constant comments about "MF wannabee." Maybe I wouldn't have started taking doubling on high brass seriously. Maybe I'd still be a trombone player!

On second thought, maybe it was for the best that that Conn got stolen... (It was still the best trombone I ever owned, though.)

4. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    My Yamaha YTR639 I had in High School. I could hit notes with that thing that would make your toes curl. Beautiful horn.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I thought I had lost my Holton ST301 MF Horn I had as a senior in high school and then in college until my dad found it rotting in a back corner of his warehouse above his office. 20 some-odd years it sat there. It was just about unusable, I thought, until I brought it over the Zig Kanstul, who fixed it up beautifully. Simply pristine. Wouldn't mind selling it, at the right price, but it turns out it's quite rare, the first incarnation of the MF Horn from Holton. Kinda proud (or lucky) to have it.

Ed

6. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana

ROFLROFL

Can I use that in my signature?

How apropos...

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    just one? If that's the case I had a fantastic L bore NY Bach in gold plate that I sold to a collector (really needed the $$ at the time).

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Like the Comebackkid, I learned to play on an 1953 Olds Ambassador. When i entered medical school in 1959, I needed some cash, and sold it, as I had quit playing at that time. I wish I had that horn now.:-(

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Bel Canto
    several Benges
    K. Allmen
    always looking for that "magic" horn and had it [them] all along.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I wanted to add I wish I still had my Oils mendez long model cornet. My first pro horn. I traded it for the Silverflair and so it goes. :-(:-(