What is the secret

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gunshowtickets, Mar 4, 2016.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Oh, my, the editing in the app messed up and something weird going on with it, there was a verse of Thaxted that got deleted. That didn't work and I didn't mean for that to make the final cut, was not aware until I listened to it later. My apologies for the vulgarities. The tuning slide I didn't pull was on the trumpet.
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm used to some really stiff springs and the Arturo Sandóval school of slamming the pistons, may have to get them upgraded...

BRB moving to England.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ok - here's the recipe for the real British Brass Band sound:

Start as early as possible, usually following some relative into the family band (i.e. a band members of your family have founded 150 years ago). Have three rehearsals of youth band per week, in addition to tuition. Switch instrument at least three times during youth band (and I mean cornet to euphonium, euphonium to Eb horn, Eb horn to cornet). Then get a large-bore shepherd's crook cornet put into your hands, with a ridiculously big mouthpiece. Practice even harder in adult band. And the most important -don't switch bands too often. You are not allowed to play in more than one band because you are registered to one band for competitions, and can only switch once or twice a year. So - no change of bands because the conductor had a bad day and called you names. It's a matter of sticking it and going through. And then you will have that sound - if you like it or not!

gunshowtickets likes this.
  3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Seriously. Starting on a mouthpiece at 3 years is not unheard of.

A couple of clips from Grimy that I've come across recently.

Be prepared for MacArthur Park to sound more like this (because BBB cornets find big, percussive sforzandi difficult, and all the high stuff gets loaded onto the poor little Eb sop who looks like he's about to burst a blood vessel).

But this is just exquisite.

gunshowtickets likes this.
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's lonely at the top. ;-)

(Very nice version of MacArthur Park.)

Mike

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Everything's really busy around here and I still haven't gotten my little recording studio set up, so that was done in my living room with my notsosmartphone.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    What about that Sop cornet in MacArthur Park? Exciting playing.
    Both good vids, shows the way the BBB can be both smooth and Brassy - thanks Seth.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Under the English Bill of Rights (1689), I think it counts as cruel and unusual punishment. Anyone who's tried playing a Sop will know that was way above and beyond the call of duty :-)

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I always enjoyed the sop part in MacArthur Park - one of my favourite sop parts all year round! (But then I was only sop in St. George's Brass Band in Dublin, not in Grimy!)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The secret of the British brass band cornet sound is growing up with a British brass band. This is not an intellectual exercise. For those guys it is playing what is in their heads - put in there by decades of listening to the real thing. Forget CDs or internet advice. You need the real thing - up close. It is not just sound, it is even more - the style, the elegance with which the players negotiate the territory!

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It's like Mariachi's... you grow up with that sound concept and its how you grow up playing.
    fast lower jaw vibrato. clean attacks, clean releases.

In BBB you want to play like the love child between an oboe and a clarinet. Meatheads can't do that.