What is this?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetnick, Jul 7, 2008.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Can anybody tell me what is the name of the below instrument in English or German?

[​IMG]

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    It is the realisation of a little known "chordal trumpet" invented by one of Bachs less prolific brothers;PDQ Bach. PDQ got fed up with having a plinkyplonky harpsichord, plugging out the continuo part, so he came up with the idea of a "chordal trumpet." It provides a rich sonorous sound, to fill in the harmonies.

Regards

B.U.M

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
  4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I would like to think PDQ DID invent this thing. He was some sort of influence on me for many years, always not for the best.:-) The instrument comes up for discussion every so often. I believe it is a reed instrument, which would make it raucous by nature.;-) More practicsl to carry around than an Alpenhorn, though.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In German it is called a Schalmei. A Google search of "Schalmeienkapelle" at Google will produce lots of hits. Each bell has a reed, and they are commonly heard during Fasching, which occurs from the 11th of November until Ash Wednesday. They are loud, and not suited for Mozart!

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Couple of years ago I was on holiday in Nessebar, Bulgary, and in the old city
    a similar instrument with 4 to 6 bells with 3 valves was for sale.
    It was a reed instrument and it was possible to play chords on it.
    Funny thing.

7. andrew_jordan

andrew_jordan Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Marco Blaauw's next inevitable phase. Is Ed Harkins onto something with the question, "could the future be Marco?"

BTW - I'd sure like to have a double-bell trumpet just like his. Even the red lacquer.

Drew

8. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow! A PDQ Bach reference!!!