What is your endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi

I thought this might be an interesting subject. Which mouthpiece do you use (size etc) and how much endurance does it give you?

What do you particularly like/dislike about your mouthpiece(s) and why?What type of work do you use it for?

Well I use two mouthpieces. I use a Bach 1c which I fill well, and if I am practising with this piece I get about 2 1/2 hours. I generally use this mouthpiece for deep dark tone while I am teaching or practising.

I use a Holton Heim #2 which is a 10c. It gives me great control, allows me to hit unbelievable high notes and gives me about 5 hours of endurance. I use this mouthpiece for legit gigs where endurance is paramount.

What I like about the Bach 1c is that it gives me total control and gives me a tone like Miles and Wynton. What I dont like about the Bach 1c is that my chops get tired to quickly!

What I like about the Holton Heim is that it is so phyically EASY to play and allows me to reach incredibly high notes. What I dont like is that sometimes I end up using to much force and end up breaking up my notes when I begin to play, so I have to ease up on this mouthpiece, have a good aclamation warmup and everything is fine.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I am on a constant mpc safari so my mpcs change often. Right now I use a Bach 3c for just about everything. My only complaint is that the rim is very round and it makes attacks uneasy. However, it has good range, endurance, and comfort. I can play comfortably on it for 3+ hours.

My experience with the Holton Heim #2 was a little different. It was great for lead playing and made high notes much easier but the rim was so hard that it cut into my lips and cut all endurance. My endurance on that was about 15 minutes.

I bought a Parduba Double-Cup #6 that I'm going to try out for awhile. It has a shallow cup and a tremendously deepened and widened conical second cup. The theory behind the double cup is that the higher the note you play, the farther on the mpc. the air stream is deflected. On the extreme high notes the air stream is almost to the rim,so the cup is very shallow there. In the lower register the air stream aims for the throat so the cup is deep there. Basically it's two mpcs. in one. I'm looking forward to playing it and it should be interesting. So those are the two mpcs I use now.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Endurance and range can be related to your mouthpiece but not to the size, to the match.

You can't play something too big for you because you'll be huffing and puffing and trying to stuff your lips into the cup and you'll be out of steam in no time. On the other end, if you mouthpiece is too small you may hit a few extra high notes but after playing for a little bit your chops might swell a little and you'll be bottoming out before you know it. And obviously, finding a good mouthpiece match won't give you X number of hours of endurance, it'll just make things easier and reduce the general struggle of things. Endurance is based on your ability.

If the 10c is working for you then why not play it all the time? Because it doesn't sound good? What about the 1c? If it sounds great but you can't last long enough then you have to make a decision. You have to play the mouthpiece that feels great and sounds great and deal with range and endurance after.

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    For me endurance is mostly a mental thing. My Tuesday schedule includes a one hour praatice session followed by 9 a.m.-noon teaching, then another one hour practice session followed by teaching from 3-9. I play throughout all lessons. By the end of the day I am pretty much mentally wasted.

5. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    RIGHT ON BILLY B!
    If my chops get tired I usually stop practicing. When I'm mentally exhausted, I can usually figure out a way to tire my chops out in under 30 minutes.

6. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey guys

Thanks for all the responses...great stuff!

Ok one thing at a time. Trumpetpimp, thanks for your comments and you have something there. THE ONLY TWO reasons I play the Bach 1c is because I want that deep dark tone and also I get the same physical exastion with a 2 1/2 session on this mouthpiece as with a 5 hour session on the Heim 10c. In other words I dont have the time to play more than 2 hours a day during the week but have to play 5 hours a night on my pro gigs on Thursday to Saturday. So I guess I am trying to keep up my chops on a big cup mouthpiece so I can perform 5 hours a night on the weekend.

For me its endurance. If I could keep my chops up on the Heim playing only 2 hours a day during the week so I could play 5 hours a day on the weekend, I'd drop the Bach 1c like yesterdays newspaper. Ideas Trumpetpimp?

Chris

''I bought a Parduba Double-Cup #6 that I'm going to try out for awhile. It has a shallow cup and a tremendously deepened and widened conical second cup. The theory behind the double cup is that the higher the note you play, the farther on the mpc. the air stream is deflected. On the extreme high notes the air stream is almost to the rim,so the cup is very shallow there. In the lower register the air stream aims for the throat so the cup is deep there. Basically it's two mpcs. in one. I'm looking forward to playing it and it should be interesting. So those are the two mpcs I use now.''

Hey Chris...Please let me know how this mouthpiece works out for you. It sounds hot! 2 mouthpieces in one is what I need!

Billy...thats one heck of a schedule :lol: Id be mentally fried after that too!

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    :troll:

-cw-

8. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Rick. From what I am learning from my mouth piece safari. Keeps taking me back to the Alpha Angle info. by Mcamilleri. He has posted a update on the Trumpet Herald. Maybe here also. I remember one of his statements on dying on a 1C Bach but flying on the 1B Bach. The reason for more endurance on the Helm #2. could be a lot higher Alpha angle on it .Maybe as times goes on. Mcamilleri will be able give us this info. on all major brands. Including the soft bite, med. bite, sharp bite etc. Maybe higher the alpha angle sharper the bite. Not to sure about that. If it turns out to be a alpha angle change. You may consider a 1B bach are 1 1/2B Bach. Are have a 1C custom made with same alpha angle as the Helm. If that is possible. Also check out what a 40 year trumpet player named John Baber had to say about the 3DE Curry trumpet m. p. The review is posted on Mouthpiece Express site on the Curry trumpet mouthpice sales section. Good luck :-)

9. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Study888

Thanks for the response and welcome to TrumpetMaster.com :D. Thanks you for the information on alpha angle. I know I have huge endurance on the Heim because it is a small mouthpiece, but never considered the alpha angle! The Heim is a V shaped mouthpiece with a deep cup so I think you may be right :D

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

10. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Pardone my ignorance, but when you guys are talking 2-3 hours, are you talking non-stop, wall-to-wall rigorous playing?......or what?