What is your endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Yea my nchops start to flo0d after three hours,i use a 11

2. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Guys

I get 5 hours a night of endurance on my gigs. I do 5 sets of 50 minutes each.

That is, play 50 minutes out of each hour and then take a 10 minute break.

I play 5 sets, which is 5 hours. I do this on a Holton Heim #2 whcih is a 10c.

I'm still not happy with my extreme high notes however. I can only go to ''A'' above high ''C''

When I am talking only 2 1/2 hours endurance I get that on my Bach 1c which is a huge mouthpiece and cuts my endurance in half. By the way the 2 1/2 hours is pretty much non stop.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

3. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Trumpet Man,

Doesn't five sets of 50 minutes of playing equal 250 minutes? Isn't that four hours and ten minutes of actually playing time. Guess I'm not very good at the new math.
    :D

Warren

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Warren

Yep thats 4 hrs 10 minutes. But its done over a 5 hour period so thats generally accepted as 5 hours of endurance in the circles i hang out in, and thats what I get paid for...5 hours :D

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Understood you just fine Rick. That's quite strong.

I play everything on the same, roughly 3C sized pieces, GR 66's, and am trashed after about 2+ hours of non-stop rigorous playing at home, but in gigs where you have breaks during the charts, I can stretch it out a bit. Things could be better.....or worse.

6. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks Rick,

I guess my endurance is four hours then. I use a Marcinkowicz Bobby Shew 1.5 signature model mouthpiece, and have been for over fifteen years.

Rick, what kind of gig last five hours?

Warren

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Dance band gigs, frat party gigs, festivals, and the list goes on....

I've never had a problem with endurance, it's the mental concentration that gets to me.

To stick with the original post: I play a Bach 3C and the whole Monette B4 line. Likes: It just "feels" good and people say I have a wonderful range of timbres on it depending on what music I'm playing... and I figure that's half the battle. The Bach I mainly use for outdoor gigs just cause I don't want to risk ruining the Monette peices.

8. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Bear,

I play in a dance band, and the longest gig we ever get is four hours. I guess Minnesotans can't handle a five hour dance. :D

Warren

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I dunno dude, get a good barn dance goin on down here in TX and it'd go all nite. Trumpets falling over, bones slides and bending, drummer breaks last pair of sticks, saxes not being able to breathe and move their fingers, piano player falls asleep on the board, and the bass goes to get another "beverage", lol. Oh man, what fun.

10. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Bear,

Now that sounds like a load of fun!

Warren