What is your favorite lead mp?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by AndrewWK, Sep 28, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    hmmmmm...probably the Shew 1-1/2.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Callet W-46 or the Monette B4L

3. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Bob Reeves 40M

4. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Bob Reeves 40M

5. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Here is a question for all you leads.....what characteristics do you look in a lead mp? Does it have to be small rim, cup,throat, ect... or do you like to change things up on your mp?

Thanks for al the replys,
    AndrewWk

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    What do we look for? Well, I can't speak for anyone else but what I like in my setup is a piece with a comfortable rim. I love the old school Bach 3c's so I look for a similiar rim. Somethin' a lil wide with some cushion to help with the fatigue of long gigs. In the cup, I look for somethin' a lil shallower than my beloved 3c so I don't kill myself and I can obtain a sound that can cover the band (or blend well, whatever the need). Throat size... well, I like 'em big, I like big bore horns too. This is just cause I push a lot of (hot) air! lol. The casings (shank size, outer cup design) I could really care less about.... Again, this is just my thoughts for my playing. Everyone is different. Hoped it helped. There are plenty of folxs on here who could tell you way more about mpcs than I could.

7. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    The reason i like the Shew 1-1/2 is because it has that sizle in the upper rege but is often inconsistant tone wise.

8. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    "Lead Mpc"

Check out Bobby Shew's web site, check out the clinic page. I believe he speeks about choosing the right tool for the job there.

9. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Bach 1D with the throat opened up to #24.

10. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Well, considering that my "lead" playing is actually done in a rock setting, the C.G. Personal works for me. Currently, I train on the Gordon method, and Lee Loughnane of Chicago uses the C.G. Personal. For big band lead, the band I play with sadly sounds pretty dead so the CGP would work, but I'll be looking at either Mohan model or a Warburton 5SV anchor top with a huge backbore.