What is your favorite Venue to hear Live Jazz?

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by jazzman54, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jazzman54

jazzman54 New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    I'd be curious to know what is your favortie place to hear live Jazz.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    A smokey, dingy dive of a bar, with a smooth Cuban cigar, a glass of Jack Daniels, and a beautiful women sitting next to me..

;-)

(I can dream, can't I?)

mikey

3. Notavialible

Notavialible New Friend

Nov 3, 2003
    Mikey, I agree with the cuban and the chick but not jack man! Get real! You're listening to jazz. Have a schotch, or Bourbon, or even a martini, but Jack Daniels is what you drink at a Metalica Concert.

Oh, and I live around Seattle so Jazz Alley is the place to be!!

4. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hahahaa....

Anyways....

I heard Tom Harrell at the Jazz Bakery in LA. Great concert!!! But only 15 people (including myself) were there, and about 10 of em left after the first set! I was pissed. Anyways... LA is lame, Tom Harrell is good.

--Kevin

P.S. Pack of Lucky Strike Reds, a cup o' joe (when listening to jazz, I want my complete faculties), and my future ex-wife sitting next to me...

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I have to say it depends on what TYPE of jazz is being played.

Bart Brady Ciampa perhaps in a quiet lounge, sipping a drink and just "being mellow"...perhaps after a nice dinner. Small group of friends or maybe just one special lady.

West Coast stuff (Brubeck et al)... definitely in concert with a whole herd of like-minded fans.

Fusion.....Ten'er (Ten 'er Twelve Miles out in a Field)...far enough that I can't hear it. (Sorry...just not my "cuppa tea")

New Orleans or Ragtime... I can only imagine one place..."The Preservation Hall". (Not that I've ever been there...it's just something on my "dream list").

Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic (well, I think of it as jazz anyway)...the Royal Albert Hall. And "yes, I've been there".

6. Erin C

Erin C New Friend

Nov 14, 2003
    Edmonton, Canada
    Well... I haven't had the chance to hear live jazz much out of my own city. But we have a really nice club here in town, the Yardbird Suite (www.yardbirdsuite.com) and there's a cafe that has live jazz sometimes, Zenari's. There's a site for that but I can't remember it.

I cannot believe there were only fifteen people at a Tom Harrel gig... and in LA of all places! What were they all thinking?!?!?

Erin -iii<

7. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

8. Tarod

Tarod New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    There is a cool place in Sydney Australia if anyone ever comes down here! The Basement which is right in circular quay (near the big Opera House) which has a bit of everything but it has a good atmosphere and good history (at least wrt Australian venues).

http://www.basement.com.au/

If Vince Jones is playing when you're there, you're in for a real treat.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I love going to hear Maynard at Blues Alley in Georgetown/Washington DC. It's small and crowded, but to me it is what a jazz club should be.

10. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Response to Romey

Green Mill is a great place. Just make sure your packin' heat when you go there. Kind of a tough neighborhood, and parking is a bear. I used to play there every Thursday night back in the 80's with a big band. I like some of the other places around Chicago. Pops, especially in Highwood, Jazz Showcase. The local colleges around town have been very supportive of live Jazz like College of Dupage (COD), College of Lake County (CLC) and of course Northwestern University has some cool programs.

Mitch "The LIP"