What is Your Warm-up Routine?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RoccoNut16v, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A bit of buzzing into the mouthpiece nothing fancy or challenging.

I start with a C scale then an F scale.
    Then I do some slurs using differnet combonations of valves, 1, 2, 1&2, 1&3, open etc. slurring down and then up as high and low as sounds good.

Then away we go!

2. MatthewMiller

MatthewMiller New Friend

Jun 5, 2005
    I can "warm up" in about 3-5 minutes just blowing the leadpipe and either some long tones or Clarkes, and as long as I'm consistently putting time into the horn I'm almost always "warmed up." However, I think it is important to spend a lot of time on fundamentals. I do a version of the Adam routine that is a combination of stuff Mr. Adam gave me with some exercises from my teacher here at school (an Adam and Vacchiano student). I then go back and work on whatever Clarke study I'm doing for the month (this month is #4) and do some more flexibility and articulation/scale studies. By this point I've usually done 2-2 1/2 hours of playing, but I don't need all of that to warm up. Doing all of that builds the consistency necessary for daily playing and, in my limited experience, that consistency eventually means less time needed to get into the horn every day.

3. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I usually do 1-4 in the Buzzing Book, or Boyde Hoods Buzzing Routine. Then I extend into the pedal, sometimes double pedal range, always glissing down from the note one octave above it to really get the air moving. Because of this I have been doing I have a great sounding pedal range.
    During this whole time I am focusing on connecting the air to sound, something Boyde tell's us all the time. And I focus on filling up from the bottom up, making sure I am breathing deeply.
    Then I do some Schlosberg, only a few. Then I move into the Stamp/Hood routine. Always focusing on the most beautiful sound I can produce. Then I do some Remington Flexibilities, that Rob Frear gave me.
    Then I am ready to go. Usually takes me about 1-2 hours to do this, depending on how much time I have and how well I feel on that day.
    Ariel

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Wait...

Since this thread is about warming up are you saying 1-2 hours to warm up? How long do you actually practice music?

ML

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I drink coffee and try to remember what a trumpet is supposed to sound like. :lol:

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Manny's advice

Again Manny hit the nail on the head.
    In my case, as an old retired guy who is a comebacker and a former heavy smoker, I have a totally different set of problems to overcome prior to every personal or scheduled band practice session, or, my only,thus far, concert in over forty years. I work on deep breathing while enroute to the practice session, then, when I get the horn out, I work on sustained pedal tones. This does not seem to wear down my 'chops'. I tried what some of the other trumpeters were doing during warm up and discovered that for me high notes in practice only reduced my lip endurance during the playing. Tongue and finger exercises seem to be redundant for me, as I have no problems with those, even if I only blow sustained notes in warmup. This is not to say that I reccomend this, as I am aware that for some, these exercises are absolutely essential. I made a bad mistake on one occasion, while warming up for a rehearsal of the community band that I play in. Without thinking, I went through my normal pedal tones, then, I started to play what I was working on in my 'at home practice'. Arbans Carnival of Venice, Variation ll. Soon after starting this exercise, one of the other trumpeters made a comment that I overheard about me being a "show off'. That was the very last thing I intended. I will never do that again.

OLDLOU>>

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, there's another "separated at birth" for me. I'm a Dunn's Coffee guy.

ML

8. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Manny, I normally only have a warm-up at gigs. And this is after I have done my Warm-Up Routine earlier in the day. Hope this clears up the confusion I may have caused. And for my Warm-Up at gigs, it varies, I guess it just depends on what I feel at that moment will get my lip going again. Usually a quick buzz on the mpc for a minute, then on to the horn to do a few clarke's, or a chromatic scale expanding the range I will be using that day or night. It's pretty much just a matter of getting the air going again to produce a trumpet sound and not trumpet noise.
    Ariel

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, Ariel, I'm sorry... I think I just misunderstood the label you gave to what you do. It's a practice routine that helps maintain and improve your overall technique and it seems it's separate from your other endevours, is that right?

And I've I always enjoyed Arnold's quote that you cite, "Breathe to expand, don't expand to breathe." There's something about thinking of the expansion that comes with a good breath that is very relaxing and liberating. It's like you can do almost anything you want once you're ready to go.

ML

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    5 things to warm-up:

1. Brain

2. Breathing

3. Embouchure

4. Tongue

5. Fingers

Get it all to work together.... :grouphug: