What kind of "dustables" do you have?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Sep 26, 2014.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Lots of books. As for mouthpieces, I keep one per horn in case I sell it. That way I can sell it with a mouthpiece and keep the one I use.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Definitely method books. When you are a beginner, you tend to be flooded with them. IN the end, you will only use one or two for the rest of your life - all the others might as well heat the stove.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is a fire hazard to burn paper in fireplaces and stoves. They produce fly ash, that subsequently a spark will ignite and cause a chimney fire that could burn your house down.
    THINK! Modern printing inks are usually grease based. There's always plenty of beginners one can give these method books to if one makes the effort. Our local newspaper publishes giveaways FREE. Our local library accepts those given for resale at 5% or less than original cost.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I just became the recipient of 3 large boxes of method books when a friend moved away. Until I sort them out and share a bunch, there you have it! I've been having fun rotating through a bunch for sight reading - will be hard to decide what to keep!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's got to be "radial" mouthpieces -- seeing is how I don't use them anymore, but I keep finding them in horn cases, in the closet, and even in the kitchen hutch for some odd reason --- not sure how many I have, and actually, don't care how many I have ---- but I won't part with them, just in case I might need them someday ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jazz play-along books. The CD gets ripped to iTunes, then the book never gets opened - all gathering dust. Even the tracks on my iPod are less likely to be used (gathering iDustâ„¢) than chord changes punched into iReal or Chordbot on my phone for practice or working out a solo.

Dupac likes this.
  7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Agreed. But here in Austria, there are so many horribly bad method books - as old as Arban, but just full of b...s... Those never were of any use to anyone and usually produced for the use of wind bands. If you really try to teach a youngster according to these, you will find that they get idiosyncrasies (one method book actually states that "you should never form an embouchure in the centre of your lips. That way, your instrument will stick out too far in front of you and get entangled with your music stand and your frontman's back. Much better to form a sideways embouchure.")
    And there is a very good system of chimney sweeps in Austria... There is a law that you have to get your chimneys swept and your heating arrangements checked by a qualified and certified chimney sweep every six months, so chimney fires are a thing of the past.
    First time ever I heard of such a thing happening was in Ireland. Chimney fire in terraced house. Fire Brigade rushes up, ladder up the house, and just squirts water down the chimney (which, by the way, is the wrong way to do it). Enraged and very wet owner rushes out - they had gone to the wrong house and just flooded an innocent neighbour's living room...
    I presume that in their report, the fire brigade involved wrote that "adjoining properties were saved".. That's a pet phrase of theirs, usually when a farmhouse burns down because they can't find it (a common occurrence in Ireland, with no postcodes and often very misleading addresses) and when the next neighbour is fifteen miles away...
    I know I'm rambling, but I really have to share an Irish full postal address with you (names have been changed, but the address is real)

Mr & Mrs Keith O'Driscoll
    The House
    Near the Three Big Trees
    Round the Pond
    Near Campile
    New Ross
    Co. Wexford
    Ireland

8. dmennis

dmennis New Friend

Mar 3, 2014
    cincy, oh
    mutes are on list. it would have to be
    "off the list" guitars for me

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A cabinet full of sheet music, books, hymnals, etc.. Several wire type music stands set up in one corner of the spare room. Wife's extra flutes and cases.:roll::oops:

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    When it comes to N+1, guitar players are similar to trumpet players. :-)

Mike