What makes a trumpet better than another?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    This question if following on from my thread "Whats the best trumpet?" So i want to know what makes a trumpet better than another? What makes a Bach trumpet better than the chinease trumpet i got or another cheaper trumpet? I mean a trumpet it designed all the same (i think) 3 valves, same hole structure in the valve where the wind goes through, samed structure etc. This also goes with a mouthpiece. Whats the comparission?:dontknow:

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Quality!

Finish, valves, slides, slotting, sound and overall craftsmanship.

You would have to ask yourself, how does my horn (or the one I plan to buy) stack up next to another brand/model horn?

A "cheap" horn is not the same as a "cheaper" horn.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    A Ford Pinto and a Mercedes SLR are "designed" the same... seats, engine, and four-wheels..... but one would never have any issues decided which one is the better car.... as Lloyd said, it comes down to quality... not to mention, with trumpets millimeters can make a difference is the sound and blow of a horn. Play test your chinese trumpet next to a Bach, Yamaha, Getzen or any other welll known brand and you will notice the difference.

4. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Hitman brings up some interesting points that got me to thinking. The primary question for me is, do we objectively assess a trumpet's worth? Do we prejudice the value based upon the country of origin or brand? And within the same brand, are newer models worth the additional investment over older ones. For instance, I happen to possess a YTR-734. Yamaha has replaced this model. Is the newer model more valuable than the 734? And if so, then why? Is it easier to play? If so, then how? And if not, then is it better in some other way? Or do most of us want the latest and therefore perceived greatest? And do the manufacturers realize this and come out with newer models when their existing ones are plenty good.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I think your post definately holds water and I believe we definately tend to put value on things simply because of the name... and not just with trumpets... but most of the time the reputation that goes with a name is based off of years of wonderful results with a product. That doesn't mean that new products are or are not better or worth more or less... once again it all comes down to personal preferance and what works best for you. Hitmans chinese horn may wll be worth more than my Schilke... but it really comes down to who's playing and who's listening! The only way to find the right horn is to play as many of them as possible. If the cheapest of the bunch is the one that you feel the most comfortable with and gives you what you are looking for, than that horn is going to be worth more to you than what you paid for it.

6. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    Regarding Bach.
    Bach is just another company producing fine trumpets.
    This week I could test some new on stock. They all played fine, the manufacturing quality could have been better (the soldering points were a bit sloppy, some small brown spots under the lacquer and some of the valve slides were only moving when using force.)
    I would also consider as example the Kanstul line. Or any other trumpet suiting you, no matter which brand. There is no magic, and it won´t surprise me, if I like a Chinese one better than as example a Monette.
    Herbert

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Simply put, the best instrument is the one that lets you forget about it and communicate directly with your audience. To quote one of the best Sunday morning television shows ever... "Set it and forget it!"

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I agree with this 100%

A cheep trumpet can play well and be the one for you.
    If a valve sticks when you're playing that will interrupt the communication.
    Same for a slide. Do you have to lip up or down notes? Maybe that doesn't hinder the communication. Do you get the sound you want?

Only the player knows what works the best for them, it could be the most inexpensive or the most expensive.

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Just because a major manufacturer made,( notice the past tense ), fantastic quality, highly respected, and sought after by top artists trumpets does NOT mean that that same brand name horn in recent production bears any semblance of the quality of days long gone. An example that comes readily to mind is those fine old King Liberty trumpets made in Cleveland, Ohio by the H.N.White Co. compared to the less than student grade trumpet shaped objects made under the same brand name since the White family sold out. I play in a couple of community concert bands, using a gold plated King Liberty trumpet a good portion of the time. Today, I traded off with one of our first trumpeters who was playing his New York made Bach Strad. Our mutual opinion was that either of these horns could be decreed as being absolutely fantastic in beauty, build quality, tone, intonation, and general playability. There is no possible way that either of us would be conned into trading our horn for a recent manufacture Strad or King. The quality of the newer editions from Bach and King just does not measure up to our antiques. Mine was made in 1927 and I am not sure when his was made, but, it is a VERY early Strad. We both know that our old horns were hand made by the top artisans in the industry, not, by a production line worker who has little is any interest in the gorgeous music that can be made with a finely made instrument.

OLDLOU>>

10. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    I see some consensus on a quality horn being the one that works best for the individual. Also that the brand name doesn't always guarantee quality over the years. Is there a time though that a horn may be wrong for a particular ensemble? Is there a need for multiple horns, aside from differing keys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.