What makes a trumpet better than another?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've been playing for over 40 years. I just was interested in the perspective. There is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Pete

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    I know just some people don't like it as you would see the responses i get.

So 40years is really big. Did you ever get sick of the trumpet? And how many years did you learn the trumpet off a teacher and then stop and say i know the trumpet and can play yourself or you were ready to teach yourself now?

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Actually, learning to fix what you need to fix is the key. I learned that about 25 years ago. I've taken lessons from some great teachers/players. Former Carmine Caruso and Rheinhardt students.The goal is to try to get better every day. And focus on the goal.The best teacher is you, with guidance from others in the know.

I know that sometimes the responses are condescending. Ask away. Some people are more secure in their responses than others. I had just asked about your age to get a better sense of where you are at with the trumpet.

Pete

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well yer i have only been playing for like 2 months or something like that. So i'm really new. But did you ever get sick of the trumpet? I mean 40 years that's like half of your life?

5. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    How old do you think I am? That's just about all of my life! Getting sick of it? No. Getting frustrated with it? YES! That's where you figure out what to do, or find a good teacher to help you with it. I've been fortunate to be able to do both. You have to take pride in your playing, and always, always, always, try to get better.Whether on your own, or with the help of a good teacher.

Pete

6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    lol i would say your around 50 years of age

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    No one said his playing is bad. What are you talking about?

I think Gary can be heard hitman

8. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    No one ever said Chris Botti didn't have power. All he said was that his particular sound is only achievable at mezzo-piano and that playing louder naturally gives a very different sound quality (probably not to Chris's personal tastes).

And the trumpet is INFAMOUS to high composers and woodwind players to be one of the loudest unamplified instruments. In an orchestra, 3 trumpets can be heard over 70+ string players (even when the trombones are playing).

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    what do you mean by the mezzo-piano whatever it is lol?

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.