What makes a trumpet better than another?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hitman,

The advice being offered to you here is excellent.

As you know, I too live in Oz and the trumpet purchase conundrum is a difficult one to master. Steer clear of eBay until you know your subject, until you've tried a lot of horns.

Research will be the best way of selecting and buying what works for you. Yes I know it sounds like a drag. When you've had a chance to think about this - and you have a spare AUD$1200 to AUD$1500 (or more), then telephoning organisations like Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (Centre) for example, will give you better protection from a crook instrument than buying blindly from eBay, but the 'world ain't perfick'. I don't want to sound like a smart a..se, but trust me, you have much to learn before taking on the scam agents in eBay. Squirrel away your spare "beer vouchers" until you know lots more about what suits you in instruments - be patient. ("The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get" or if you like "Act in haste, repent at leisure".)

I researched for nearly two years to buy a quality intermediate horn (and I had spare funds, and I could fly to the US quite easily) - you've got an instrument, learn your craft first - because your choices will change as you advance. Keep asking questions - research, sorry, no easy way around it.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well i might get a new one by end of next year - i reckon.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    practice

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i practice everyday for about 10-15mins. No more because my trumet teacher said if u practice more that that you will ruin your lips because they will get to numb etc. But he said gradually you will practice and be able to play for long n longer which is true cause my lips to get numb quickly.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Have you discussed any of these things with your teacher?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    no problems based on numb lips. My beginners play at least 30 minutes in one sitting (our lessons are one hour long). You advance faster when you work harder. 15 minutes is not even enough time for a "basic" routine.

7. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    Hello Hitman. What exactly is wrong with your trumpet? If the valves come up fast enough then it's good enough to learn on. I assume that mechanically it can be made to work. Too many people on this site have made fun of you for not having a well known brand horn. Its no different from mocking someone because they have inexpensive clothes or an old car. I'm worried that you have gotten a negative image of your horn from those posters and not from the horn itself. Ask yourself. Don't fall into the trap of peer pressure.

I'm a beginner like you. I started with a cheap rental. Yes the valves were not fast and the slides were stiff and the second valve slide was too long so I was flat but it was OK to learn on. OK true confession time. I did not want to rent forever, a friend loaned me a very good horn for a few months. Eventually I needed to make a purchase. I decided that I would buy only 1 horn ever so it would be a good one. I tried a number of expensive horns and sadly I did not have the sophistication to tell the difference between them. I was not ready for such a horn. Well, I bought one anyway. I'm at the stage in life when I can do something frivolous once in a while. Now I feel a little embarrassed when I pull the horn out of its case considering how poorly I play. You cannot buy ability. I could have gone to a local pawn shop and purchased a student horn for almost one tenth of the cost and spent the difference on lessons.

Keep the insides of your horn as clean and lubed as possible and keep practicing. There is nothing wrong with multiple sessions per day. You need more than 15 total minutes per day. Thats just a warm up.

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Yer well people did "bag" me on this site. But i mean i dont care anymore. I know. You cant go get the Miles Davis trumpet if you can only play a few notes. Ive only been playing for a bit more than 1 month. I know eventually once i get better i will get a better trumpet.

Well after 15min my lip get numb and i cant even play anymore. Im just doing what the teacher said is good. He just said play 15min, until you get better and your lips gradually go stronger. I mean 15min is ok. I do some scale and thats it. I can only do scales anyway. Im really eager to play songs and stuff but i just dont have the skills. It pisses me off lol. Thats why i want to go to lessons like everyday but lol money kicks into that.

How old are you Zlatko? Im 16!

9. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    we make fun of hitman's trumpet because he asked us what to get...

we told him...we also told him not to waste his money on the chinese one...

he didn't listen...

we make fun of him because of his inability to write in english...sometimes

most of us think he is a troll here to stir things up with inane posts...

how did you do over on trumpet herald go hitman?

10. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    I'm 42 and a half but I'm very immature. LOL (as you hip cats like to say). I've heard it said that one of the big mistakes of learning an instrument is rushing to the songs. It's good to work on the foundation. I know what you mean by wanting lessons every day. I'm looking forward to the next one too. But, the way I see it a teacher is not a magician and you still need to take what he shows you and make it a part of you. 30 minutes with the teacher is enough to give you a weeks worth of ideas to work on.

Has your teacher given you a daily routine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.