What makes a trumpet better than another?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    well i dont know. If i play long notes my lips get tired fast ass. But sometimes i play those 1 beat notes or sometimes it i dont know what there called but it wen you tounge twice one 2 half beats. And the notes are connected. Sorry but i dont know what they are called. If i do them i can go for a bit longer but nto to much. My teacher says because oyu are new to this.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Zlatko,

You told Hitman:

"Too many people on this site have made fun of you for not having a well known brand horn. Its no different from mocking someone because they have inexpensive clothes or an old car. I'm worried that you have gotten a negative image of your horn from those posters and not from the horn itself. Ask yourself. Don't fall into the trap of peer pressure."

I started playing around age 13 with a "hand-me-down" (stencil) cornet. I've owned Conn, Reynolds and Blessing. I purchased my first horn (Conn Director) and my second horn (Reynold Contempora) by working odd jobs as a teenager. I purchased my Conn and Blessing instruments as an adult on installment plans. They were not the most expensive instruments, but they were not poor quality. Most folks in the forum invested in themselves and purchased quality instruments (moderate to expensive) based upon their skills and preferences. I believe they have sought to be helpful to Hitman, but he apparently doesn't agree at times.

He needs to practice the trumpet he has more than 10 to 15 minutes a day. No wonder he complains about not making progress. Most teachers would require more practice time than that from their students.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    The long tones will help you build strength and tone for sure. As you make yourself practice longer, your embrochure will strengthen. If your lips are numb, you are probably doing something wrong. They could become tired, but you stop and rest a bit...then start again.

Are you being taught music theory and the proper trumpet fingering?

If you don't have a teacher locally, you might have to save up and buy a DVD trumpet instruction video to teach you the basics until you can afford a teacher.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    no man i can afford a teacher and im paying him for 2 hours with him a week lol. His teaching me theory as well. But yer i forgot what they were called.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hitman
    Are you pushing the mouthpiece against your lips hard, so they will seal and not leak? Probably pushing too hard - and your lips get numb. Try firming your lips and chin, and using less pressure. Working on the mouthpiece alone will help you.

Are you wetting your lips and/or the mouthpiece? You should.

If you can play a scale you can play simple tunes. Ask your teacher.

Forget about your horn for now and just work on learning.

The comma that you added after zlatko was the correct fix - but out of context in the fix demonstration.

6. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    nha im not pushing very hard. And i do wet the lips lol. But its cause ive just started ive never used my lips for buzzing.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Difficult to warm-up in 15 mins - and you play better when you're warmed up properly.

8. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    hmm soon i will

9. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    I'm not making the connection. I never said I was a teacher. I have a local teacher. I'm just chatting like everyone else.

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Zlatko... this post was not directed at you. Hitman is the one that said you were his teacher.... I don't think Hitman meant you were his teacher in a literal sense, but merely suggesting you were like a teacher to him because you sent him some scale studies. At any rate, lets move on from that part of the thread and try to get some good information out there. :play:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.